Plumber's Putty around rim of kitchen sink?? Formica countertop

Users who are viewing this thread

darla

Reaction score
Cookie, I guess i am just not assertive enough or I would have insisted that it be reinstalled with silicone when they came back out.

It is hard to challenge a professional when they are doing a job they have been licensed to do.

If everyone here had told me silicone is the product to use I would have had a little more confidence.....but with some insisting that the putty is okay......I just felt like couldn't be sure that putty is wrong.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your support!
Darla

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood...that is what happened to my last sink - water under the rim - formica base material puffed up and came apart from the formica. I guess that is why I am so worried about this new one.

Which is why you should call them back to seal it properly with caulk!

Cookie

Reaction score
Then, I would consider this a growing experience. If you don't have anyone else to handle it, then it is up to you. To me, the bottom line is what the instructions said to do. This is what I would mention. I would just say something like, " According to the instructions it should be sealed with caulk, when can you come back out?"

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Kinda like "My way or, no way!" or, " You do have insurance that will cover the water damage don't you?" Two nice assertive lines!

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a reason the Mfg. said to seal it with caulk.

To do it right the sink needs to be removed and the putty removed and counter surface cleaned good. The putty can leave a residue that will not allow the caulk to adhere to the counters surface then you will have the same problem, water leaking past the seal.

If they had followed the Mfg. instructions to begin with this thread wouldn't be here.

Always Read and follow the instructions. They are there for a reason.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Before self-rimming sinks, there were hudee rims. The cross-section of the hudee rim is a T shape, with a clip attaching to the bottom of the T.

It was common to use plumber's putty when using this rim, which was separate from the sink, and the rims were used on both kitchen sinks and bathroom basins. (As well as other types of sinks.)

When the self-rimming sinks came out, it was still common to use plumber's putty under the rim. The rim springs a bit and holds the putty in place.

You have to remember that silicone caulk did not always exist.

The only problem with putty is that it is an oil-based compound and can harm some plastics. For example, you should never use putty on a solid plastic bathroom sink top. It can also damage plastic shower strainers.

Silicone would always be my preferred choice for a kitchen sink. Faucets used to be designed for putty beneath them, but these days most faucets are not. Silicone is also a good choice there.

I have seen far too many problems with acrylic-based caulks in wet areas to recommend them. Polyseamseal used to be supplied with Kohler sinks and others, and if properly applied can last a long time. I've run into some really nasty uncured Polyseamseal beneath toilets and sink pedestals.

Construct30

Reaction score
I guess I wonder where all the die hard plumber's putty people are on this one. I have said I use silicone on drains and got chewed up and spit out pretty much for being a hack. Silicone is my choice on just about everything like this, it works in place of plumber's putty for just about everything and does a better job IMO.

That being said, we used to always use plumber's putty under stainless steel kitchen sinks, if it has the clamps. It worked fine then no reason to believe it still won't. The cheap sinks are harder to get down with the harder plumbers putty, the welds on the bolt slots want to break loose. If they got it in and it isn't leaking you should never have a problem with it. My first choice would be silicone because it is much easier to work with, but if they got it to work I wouldn't change it unless it is a self rimming sink, then it needs the caulk to "stick" it down.

darla

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the responses on this subject. It certainly has been a learning experience.

Those here who are professional plumbers or remodelers.....how do you feel about your customers insisting on a product or method that you disagree with?

Is the customer always right ? Would you use a product they wanted even if you felt it wasn't the right application?

The main thing I learned here is not to be afraid to stay in the room while the professional is working and watch for things that aren't right before it is too late to change them. Sometimes it just feels awkward to stand around watching someone work..and I sure the worker doesnt care for it either.

Thanks again everyone.

Cookie

Reaction score
Darla,

I think you mentioned this was a kitchen remodel so unless, someone else handled things for you, you got some experience in these matters.

What you are asking about telling a pro how to do their job/what materials to apply etc, ... is not the same as what some here, including myself, have been telling you, simply about following the manufactuers directions.

Is the customer always right? I am a consumer like you, are you always right?

Who told you to stay in the same room and hover over anyone working? No one. I am just a consumer, but, Darla, if I were a pro, I would certainly mind and I am assertive enough to let you know.

Darla, you are going to get high blood pressure over this. Either fix it, or let it go.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Those here who are professional plumbers or remodelers.....how do you feel about your customers insisting on a product or method that you disagree with?

Is the customer always right ? Would you use a product they wanted even if you felt it wasn't the right application?.
As long as the customer pays their bill, they are always right. If the customer insists that I approach a job that I may disagree with, I may not be responsible for the outcome. If I suggest a procedure, then thats the procedure that I have had possitive results with.

I always tell my customers that absolutely nothing is impossible, it only takes to things to complete a job to satisfaction
1) the good will to do it

And
2) the money to back it up

I have the good will to do it, Does the customer have the money to back it up?

If my custmer wants a wc installed on the roof, I'll do it for the right amount of money ......... mind you, I would never recommend it.......... but I'll install it
(I hope you guys don't get a tissy from the last comment, but that will certainly satisfy the customer............ even if it is against my better judgement)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A w/c on the roof!!!...I would turn down the job...there are some things I wont do.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
darla said:

Is the customer always right ? Would you use a product they wanted even if you felt it wasn't the right application?

It depends on the situation. If I were about to put putty beneath the rim of a stainless steel sink and the customer told me that they preferred to have silicone, or vice-versa, I'd shrug my shoulders and simply do it without complaint.

However, if it were something that they wanted me to do that I either knew was wrong or substandard, I would refuse to do it. If it came to it, I would walk away from the job. My knowledge and experience trump any hearsay theories that the customer may have. If I can't do it better than they can, they should be doing it.

I've told this story a thousand times and I'll probably tell it a thousand more. A very many years ago, an old plumber told me this story about how he was plumbing tract houses. It was back in the days of galvanized pipe. He was laying out his tools to get ready to finish the house when the developer came in and started telling him how he wanted something done.

He began putting his tools back into his tool box. He got up and started to walk out. The developer asked: "Where are you going?"

He said, "I was looking for work when I found this job," and walked away.

This story is something that I always keep in mind when I'm working - I always know that it's not the end of the world if I walk away. It's a great stress-reliever.

darla

Reaction score
Cookie, I am past it now. I was just thinking if I could have seen the plumber getting ready to use the putty it would have been much easier to switch to caulk before the job was done. That's why I made the remark about "hovering".

krow, interesting point of view:).

Herk, a good story - worth re-telling!

Cookie

Reaction score
Darla, I am glad your sink worked out, hope you enjoy it. :)
I am outa of here!

Last edited:

JonBus

Reaction score
When it does leak and it will the countertop will end up looking like one of those sponges that is dry and compressed that expands when wet...
Hello Redwood, I have formica counter top that has water damage from around the removed kitchen sink. Not horrendous, just a few 1/16" up/downs. How is the best way to seal it. The new sink's edge is folder over so it makes a flat surface. I was thinking of using Frost King 3/16" foam tape between the sink and counter, and place a bead of silicone around the edge of the sink. Bad idea?

JonBus

Reaction score
Which is why you should call them back to seal it properly with caulk!
I have formica counter top that has water damage from around the removed kitchen sink. Not horrendous, just a few 1/16" up/downs. How is the best way to seal it. The new sink's edge is folder over so it makes a flat surface. I was thinking of using Frost King 3/16" foam tape between the sink and counter, and place a bead of silicone around the edge of the sink. Bad idea?

DiamondDee

Reaction score
I'm not really trying to get off into anyone's Cheerios and I'm not really trying to be obnoxious or anything but, (and I really do love calling people out on this) as someone who has worked in construction for many many years, if I am called out to do a job for anyone I try to make sure that no one will be standing over my shoulders watching my every move. ( Not because I'm dishonest or I don't know what I'm doing. But if a customer hires me to do a job then that said customer should know my history or know something about my work and if hired then said customer should trust that I will do the job right . Not go behind me after my work is completed then start nic picking on what has been done.
Remember, this is just me talking for myself.
Now I feel like if a customer does this and there's a disagreement in what I have done, then why did said customer not do the job himself if he or she knows better than me.. just throwing that out there. One more thing how did you notice after the installation that it was plumbers putty that was used between the sink and countertop? Did you undo the job that was done in order to see this? If so shame shame. I have used plumbers putty for sink installation for 30 years on certain countertops and your countertop fits the plumbers putty option. Thanks ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With formica putty was mostly used.
Then stone came along and we were told to use other products for that. I still like using putty on a kitchen sink with formica.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks