Plugging toilet exit for cleaning soak

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Reach4, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that a test plug could be used to block a toilet output to let a cleaning solution sit higher than the normal waterline.

The SAFE-T-SEAL TP123 seems as if it would be a good choice, since it is for a wider range of diameters than the Cherne test balls. Any comments?
    [​IMG]

My Vespin ii seems to be tight for a 3-inch toilet brush.

2. Treeman

Treeman Active Member

Last summer I tried to acid clean my recently replaced 50 year old workplace toilet by blocking the main drain exit. By plugging the exit, I could raise the water up to the very top edge of the bowl so that most of the internal bowl was exposed to acidified water.

A rag alone did not work. A rag in a plastic bag sealed it entirely. The plastic bag was just enough to make it seal. Make sure the assembly is big enough not to get partially flushed and clog up the toilet drain. Being frugal, I didn't want to spend any more than necessary for a one time use.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    My son could swing by and plug it for you.

5. helenhans

helenhans New Member

If you need to clean the plumbing from urinary stones, then it is better to use proven means, I took a commercial jet washing service for myself and was satisfied, because the acid corroded the enamel of my toilet bowl and sink. The bulk is just limescale. An unpleasant color and smell is given to it by particles of faeces, rust and urine, which fill the pores of lime formations. In such an environment, bacteria and microorganisms actively multiply, which only enhances the stench. Therefore, in order not to dig into this mud, I simply buy either equipment for flushing or order a service. It is much better to lose a little money than to buy new equipment later, especially when it comes to equipment reinstallation and repairs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021