Piston pump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

MatGyver

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Here at my cottage in Ontario, we pull from a sand point with a piston pump into a tank which ends up just over half water to air and then up an approximately 15' vertical rise to the cottage system.
This system has worked for 30+ years with only minor find and fix issues.

The last few days I have had a new issue. In the am when I wake up there is nothing but air in the line...when I go to investigate and re prime which would be obvious, the prime is still holding right to the pump, but then nothing but air after that. Tank and system are empty?!‍♂️
I can't figure out where all that water is going...no obvious leaks, there is an acceptable amount of water on the floor(condensation, leather lube, etc).
I am able to disconnect the flex hose to the tank and back fill with water, reattach and plug in and BOOM, fixed!

I'm at a loss on this, so any ideas would be great!

Reach4

Reaction score
The softener backwashed overnight, and consumed all of the water from the tank? The piston pump sucked the sand point dry trying to refill the tank? Air could come from a vacuum leak or from the water at the sand point dropping and sucking some air at the sand point.

The float switch that controls the piston pump is intermittent, and did not start the pump, even tho the tank was empty?

Here at my cottage in Ontario, we pull from a sand point with a piston pump into a tank which ends up just over half water to air
Are you saying that the piston pump pumps a lot of air into the tank along with the water?

EDIT: I had mis-interpreted the post. I was thinking "a tank" was an atmospheric tank rather than the pressure tank.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah I don't understand why the pressure switch did not turn the pump back on after it leaked down? However, if it is draining down the pump suction, that is probably where the leak is.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try slathering the accessible joints with shaving foam. Include the connection to the pump. Make the pump run, and look for the foam being sucked in.

MatGyver

Reaction score
Here's my setup

matgyver-01.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have a high spot in the suction line before the pump. That is a good place for air to accumulate and cause a lose of prime. Also those hose clamps on the suction are a good place for an air leak. But again, the pressure switch should be turning the pump on at low pressure long before there is no pressure?

MatGyver

Reaction score
That is just a bad angle, it's almost dead level from point to pump. Also doesn't explain where the water is going from the entire system.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Maybe you have a seal out in the piston pump. Don't know much about them. But what about the pressure switch? Does it kick the pump on when the pressure gets to like 30?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Sure the sand point is still under water or a hole in the pipe? With tank full of air not some water has to be only sucking air.

MatGyver

Reaction score
Sure the sand point is still under water or a hole in the pipe? With tank full of air not some water has to be only sucking air.
Lots of water...it's still full at the point side of the pump. There has to be a seal in the pump that is stuck or something. My a rebuild. Working perfectly when it is though...just had a nice long shower!?

Reach4

Reaction score
Air must enter from somewhere. Maybe apply shaving foam to more seams.

Fitter30

Reaction score
When ever replacing a pumped seal i use either liquid soap or cooking grease like crisco on the rotating surface of the seal so when the pump first starts its not starting dry and washes right out. Rubber around the ceramic pushes in the casting easier and over the shaft.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I am suspicious of the section of reinforced vinyl tubing within the suction line between the check valve and the pump. It is apparent the tubing is collapsing at least partially when the pump is operating.

Vinyl over time tends to loose elasticity so with repeated flexing, the tubing can become more brittle and cracks may form which could be allowing air to be drawn in.

Alternately, the collapsing could cause the tubing to repeatedly rub over the edge of each barbed fitting, thereby potentially wearing a hole into the tubing.

Suggest replacing the section of tubing in the suction line with a section of pipe that will better stand-up to repeated negative pressure conditions.

Last edited:

MatGyver

Reaction score
I am suspicious of the section of reinforced vinyl tubing in the suction line between the check valve and the pump. It is apparent the tubing is collapsing at least partially when the pump is operating. Vinyl over time tends to loose flexibility so with repeated flexing, the tubing can become more brittle and cracks may form which could be allowing air to be drawn in. Alternately, the repeated collapsing could be causing the tubing to scrape
What do you recommend? I have always been told there should be flexible hose to and from the piston due to the vibration?!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks