Pipe Size for more than 3 toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Rizwan

Reaction score
One side of our building has 3 bathrooms and the piping from toilets to main pipe is 3". The main pipe is connected to city pipe of 6". We need to add three more toilets on the other side of the building. Can we use the same pipe sizing as the other side? (3" to 4"). Its all one floor. One of the plumber said we need to replace 4" pipe to 6" pipe since we are adding three more toilets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3" takes up to three toilets. When the 4th is added, it's upsized to 4".
Your plumber should know local codes though. Sometimes you have local differences with the inspectors.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 4" pipe can handle a LOT MORE than 6 toilets so either your plumber is mistaken, or he is NOT a plumber.

6" would be for a very large condo project perhaps. Very large. I'm trying to remember when I've gone bigger than 4".

becu_800.jpg

Okay, here's a job I did that was larger than 4".
The rain drains for the roof and decks was done in 8" cast.
The parking garage had some 12".

becu2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks