Pipe Nipple into Drop Ell Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a brass fitting supply coming off my shower valve (Moentrol) that feeds through my wall assembly. I did an initial measurement of the depth and came up with this...

5/8" behind the wall and into the supply
1" wall board plus thinset plus tile
3/8" to 1/2" depth into my Drop Ell

If that comes out to 2" to 2 1/8" and it seems pipe nipples come in sizes of 1/2" increments, do I most likely get a 2" pipe nipple or a 2 1/2" pipe nipple? Do I get brass or galvanized?

How do pros manage getting the correct sized pipe nipple so the Drop Ell sits more or less flush with the tile surface?

I do know the threads are IPS tapered so cutting threads is not a solution. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We stub out a long nipple with cap during construction and then after tile we pull that and install what we need, a brass one is best, as galvanized steel will show a bit of rust every morning.
Using the 6" test nipple, take off the measurement from the wall, and removing the test nipple measure back and that's what you need.
With tapered threads it's sort of a feel thing as to how tight you will be spinning in the new one. There is some play in what you can get away with.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I get brass or galvanized?
Brass for sure, tho you could get a cheap galvanized one or two for size. But then discard the galvanized, and get a brass nipple.
I do know the threads are IPS tapered so cutting threads is not a solution. Is this correct?
I expect the threads for the nipple are NPT. You can thread those fine if you wanted to cut down a brass nipple. So a regular 1/2 inch NPT die could let you shorten a nipple, and fix up its threads if necessary.

If I read correctly, it is the threads for the hand shower that are IPS. I think IPS stands for Iron Pipe Size. Regular nipples are iron pipe size too. People don't usually point that out. Presumably it matches up with their hand showers. But maybe there is something different about the thread for the hand shower and the thread on a nipple.

moen-shower-elbow.jpg

To make a nipple that is a bit short work, add a lot more tape to both ends. I am not a plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jb9

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and Reach4. That is the exact Drop Ell I have ready to go. I have a long capped nipple on there now as you said Terry. I will get a brass one as you both suggest.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We stub out a long nipple with cap during construction and then after tile we pull that and install what we need, a brass one is best, as galvanized steel will show a bit of rust every morning.
Using the 6" test nipple, take off the measurement from the wall, and removing the test nipple measure back and that's what you need.
With tapered threads it's sort of a feel thing as to how tight you will be spinning in the new one. There is some play in what you can get away with.

Ha yea I do it the same way screw in a 6 inch nipple screw spout on measure the gap and subtract. sometimes Ill buy 2 nipples of differant length one I dont use goes in the nipple tray caddy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks