PEX experts (3/4 inch) I have a question for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Lex2007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I moved a 40 gallon water heater into an attic to make more space on a very tight 1st floor. The attic is unconditioned but it receives a lot of heat from the living space below so it is never quite ambient temp in the winter.

I am concerned with very cold weather. I've read that PEX is more freeze resistant than CPVC or copper, aside from being more easy to work with.

I have 24 inch copper water heater connections into 3/4 PEX. I used some brass PEX connectors to make some hard angles down into the living space but I'm second guessing whether I should have used PEX all the way and made 90s with PEX instead of using the brass 90s. The pics help explain the situation.

I feel the brass 90s are the weak point for cold weather resistance and for flow (and leaks) even though they are on the floor close to the thermal envelope.

You think its worth taking these brass 90s out in the first pic and running pure PEX for the entire run of 20 feet? I was worried about making those angles work with 3/4 inch.

(The foam insulation sticking up can be ignored. Needs to be trimmed into place. Also ignore the yellow SS gas lines in the 2nd pic, that's all been cleaned up and simplified. I also haven't plumbed in the pan drain)

The 3/4 PEX supply line runs into a Water Cop (leak detector and automated shutoff), hence that black box lying on its side. The metal structure is the insulated furnace chimney.

I accept all constructive criticism.

PXL_20201004_130130736.jpg

PXL_20201004_130136802.jpg

PXL_20201004_173904005.jpg
PXL_20201005_162814819.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see a problem with brass 90's there. The PEX all the way would have been fine too. Is this an attic that is ventilated? Ridge vents and eave vents? Does it drop below 32 degrees in Winter up in the attic?

Lex2007

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

It has two small eave vents yes. No ridge vent (great for winter, bad for summer). Two windows as well but those are closed all the time.

I'm considering using 18 feet of heating strips just in case it gets to near 32F, which is very uncommon because the insulation is only 6 inch batts.

DW85745

Reaction score
I'm considering using 18 feet of heating strip

That's what I would suggest depending on your attic temperature. HOwever, you need to think of some kind of backup in case power goes out -- especially for an extended period. Also maybe wrapping piping with a H2O heater blanket / insulation might help a bit depending on attic temp.

One question, have you verified your roof trusses (attic floor) can support the weight.
When the H2O heater gets a lot of calcium buildup, the total weight should increase more that with just H2O.

My2Cents

Last edited:

Lex2007

Reaction score
What is this heater blanket you refer to?

I have the heater spread across multiple trusses because its sitting on two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood to spread the load.

Lex2007

Reaction score
Terry, what is this heater blanket you refer to and do you recommend a particular heat tape, like Frost King or Wrap-On for Pex?

I talked top Frost King and they said for Pex the water cannot be higher than 145F in the pipes and the Pex must be wrapped in metal foil tape first then the heat tape then insulated.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
While PEX tubing is more resistant to freezing and more resiliant to freeze expansions the limitation of PEX to withstand freeze expansion is when you have fittings that are closer together than 7 inches. The expanding ice in the fittings has no place to move or not enough room between the freeze plugs to absorb the added expansion.

Some forms of PEX such as cold expansion can withstand thousands of freeze cycles, while others will not.

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/39664.pdf

Lex2007

Reaction score
Closer together in the same run of pipe yes?

I'm using Type B Pex from Home Depot (Apollo).

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I edited my response above to include a link to the information directly.

I have no direct experience with that brand or type of PEX. I use only Uponor/Wirsbo brand PEX exclusively.

Lex2007

Reaction score
The guys from Apollo Pex that is sold at Home Depot gave me this info for freeze resistance:

Here are the minimum cut lengths of PEX pipe for installation:

Fitting Size – Cut Length of Pipe

½ in. – 2 ½ in.

¾ in. – 3 ½ in.

1 in. – 4 ½ in.

1 ¼ in. – 5 ½ in.

1 ½ in. – 6 ½ in.

2 in. – 7 ½ in.

These minimum cut lengths will accommodate frozen water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks