PEX connections in an old house

Users who are viewing this thread

cs2eye

Reaction score
We had our kitchen remodeled in our 1920s house a few years ago. As part of the remodel there was a copper pipe in a drop ceiling which was cut and fit through the ceiling joists. PEX pipe was used in the process to raise the pipe. I was not familiar with PEX until the plumber was done with the job and i asked what it was.

We are now hearing drips in the ceiling and we will be getting a plumber to come in. We had a copper pipe fitting leak about a year ago above the PEX and now assume this is the second time. I don’t know yet if it’s the PEX or again a copper fitting failing.

Could the PEX be causing the fitting around it to fail? seems odd that we are getting leaks now years after and not the new pipe but old fittings

thx

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When installed properly, PEX is robust and does not leak. What some have found, though, is that PEX is more prone to damage by rodents. They can chew through it easily.

Copper fittings don't tend to fail...a solder joint can, again, if it is not done properly. Depending on the water quality, though, it can erode the pipe and cause leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody can speculate without seeing the pipes/joints.
Wait for the plumber and his conclusions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks