PEX Bend TOO Tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Stinnett

Reaction score
I have a piece of PEX with an expansion fitting coming off a 90 and going into a drop elbow. The connection is at an angle and feels like there is a lot of stress at the fitting. Is this considered acceptable?

IMG_0302.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The bend radius for Aquapex (PEX A) is 6 time the OD. That corresponds to a circle that is 12 time the diameter. For 1/2 inch Aquapex, that minimum circle diameter would be 7.5 inches. For 3/4, the minimum circle diameter would be 10.5. I drew that circle in red, and this illustrates you are OK, as stated.

For other PEX, the bend radius is 8 times the OD of the pipe.

Attachments

• img_3a.jpg
    img_3a.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 169

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the lower bend could be straightened a bit at the pex-pex elbow, you wouldn't have to move the elbow much. Then a strap or two on the pipe would hold it straight at the elbow and make sure the bending stresses are in the middle of the pipe section rather than at either end connection.

It's also likely that it would take a lot more lateral stress at the joint to actually fail and that it's fine as is.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
It's also likely that it would take a lot more lateral stress at the joint to actually fail and that it's fine as is.
I think fine as is also.

If Jim were to try to manipulate that first two inches of the diagonal pipe to be straight, I think he would need to replace that piece of PEX with one maybe about an inch longer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks