PEX angle stop replacement. What should I do!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamesd42

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. In terms of reliability, I would not hesitate to use the cinch claps in a wall. I wouldn't use shark bites in a wall. In terms of your application, I wonder if you would have trouble with shark bite if you go to push it on and the pipe goes with it.
Thanks for the response. I actually think you’re correct with the pipe pushing into the wall. I noticed somewhat when working on it, and not sure how that would work with a push to connect fitting.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don’t believe this house has PEX A.
Stainless clamps and rings are good on PEX A too.

I have the Sharkbite, but I was able to attach that while I had some extra length to work with, to make it easy to make sure I had full insertion. It looks prettier.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would expect a sharkbite not as long lasting . joint being exposed out side the wall would tend to make me more likely to use the sharkbite , but if you have the tool and can manuever to change all your stops sure other method is prefered

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A Sharkbite seal is made by an O-ring. The whole thing is held on by spring loaded teeth that can be retracted by pulling on the movable ring. The teeth are angled so it's nearly impossible to remove it without retracting the teeth. But, pushing it on can scratch the tubing. I've not taken one apart enough to tell if it is significant. In theory, I supposed it might scratch things enough to prevent the O-ring from sealing, but they do not go that far onto the tubing, so they shouldn't, even if they did scratch things. Not likely a problem on PEX, but when used on harder material like copper, if you don't clean up the edge well (they sell a tool for this), that edge could have a burr or be sharp, and that can ruin the O-ring when you try to install it. The O-ring is not replaceable that I've seen, but maybe if you really futzed around with it...time-wise, easier to just replace. The O-ring SHOULD last a long time as it's not being moved around. One side effect of using a Sharkbite fitting is that it CAN be twisted on the tubing. That will scratch the tubing, but may not get it to come off. That's likely okay on say a coupling, but may be less than desirable for a valve where you're applying torque to it, maybe on a regular basis.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a plumber. In terms of reliability, I would not hesitate to use the cinch claps in a wall. I wouldn't use shark bites in a wall. In terms of your application, I wonder if you would have trouble with shark bite if you go to push it on and the pipe goes with it.

Honestly, I hate sharkbites. In some situations, sure. Use a sharkbite. If the meter is 2-foot under snow and you don't have any idea where it is, and the whole house shutoff isn't working - but luckily you're located in a cellar. CUT THAT SUCKER LIVE and jam a shark bite ball valve on there. But other than an unusual circumstance, I'm not a fan of sharkbite. The reason I'm skeptical of sharkbite and any push fitting is that push fittings use a metal tooth-ring to grab the pipe. And yeah, they do a great job at that. But what about metal fatigue? It seems logical to me that because of metal fatigue, it is an absolute 100% guarantee that ALL SHARKBITES WILL FAIL. How long will they take to fail? shrug, I don't know. Will EVERY FITTING eventually fail - well yes. But we've all seen 100 year old copper and galvanized fittings. I personally believe that sharkbite metal fatigue will eventually be an issue the same way qwest pipe was a problem.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Honestly, I hate sharkbites. In some situations, sure. Use a sharkbite. If the meter is 2-foot under snow and you don't have any idea where it is, and the whole house shutoff isn't working - but luckily you're located in a cellar. CUT THAT SUCKER LIVE and jam a shark bite ball valve on there. But other than an unusual circumstance, I'm not a fan of sharkbite. The reason I'm skeptical of sharkbite and any push fitting is that push fittings use a metal tooth-ring to grab the pipe. And yeah, they do a great job at that. But what about metal fatigue? It seems logical to me that because of metal fatigue, it is an absolute 100% guarantee that ALL SHARKBITES WILL FAIL. How long will they take to fail? shrug, I don't know. Will EVERY FITTING eventually fail - well yes. But we've all seen 100 year old copper and galvanized fittings. I personally believe that sharkbite metal fatigue will eventually be an issue the same way qwest pipe was a problem.

I just have an irrational dislike for them. I have a crimper and have invested the time to become competent at soldering. To me ... Shark Bites feel like cheating.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just have an irrational dislike for them. I have a crimper and have invested the time to become competent at soldering. To me ... Shark Bites feel like cheating.

Go on, admit it. You've used sharkbites more than once (evil grin). I've used them too. But I'm a fan of crimped fittings and copper. When PEX first came out, it took me a couple of years to come around to the idea. I stubbornly kept plumbing houses with copper. When copper went way up in price and the meth heads ruined my work by tearing out my copper to sell for recycling money, that was the impetus for me to make the change.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Go on, admit it. You've used sharkbites more than once (evil grin). I've used them too. But I'm a fan of crimped fittings and copper. When pex first came out, it took me a couple of years to come around to the idea. I stubbornly kept plumbing houses with copper. When copper went way up in price and the meth heads ruined my work by tearing out my copper to sell for recycling money, that was the impetus for me to make the change.
Nope ... my cheapness is mightier than my laziness.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The reason I'm skeptical of sharkbite and any push fitting is that push fittings use a metal tooth-ring to grab the pipe. And yeah, they do a great job at that. But what about metal fatigue? It seems logical to me that because of metal fatigue, it is an absolute 100% guarantee that ALL SHARKBITES WILL FAIL.

I wonder if a barely perceptible O-ring leak will work on the Shark's grab ring fingers over time. I can see a Shark blowing free after a decade or two of use, something that won't happen to a sweat joint or expansion PEX. I'm not sold on Press though. Even with the mechanical crimp I still hate the idea of an O-ring for the seal.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks