Perfect Wax seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnfin

Reaction score
I have seen some videos of guys installing the wax seal on the toilet and others on the floor flange. What gives? I would think if on the toilet it could fall and damage it. What about the Perfect seal by Danco. Its $9, has a 10 year warranty and the toilet and be re-positioned without leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know any plumbers that put the wax seal on the bowl. It goes down on the floor, the closet flange.
And yes, if on the bowl and it drops off, then God knows where it might land.

The Perfect Seal might work for you. I use wax because I have lots of options with it.

danco-perfectseal.jpg

Last edited:

Johnfin

Reaction score
I don't know any plumbers that put the wax seal on the bowl. It goes down on the floor, the closet flange.
And yes, if on the bowl and it drops off, then God knows where it might land.

The Perfect Seal might work for you. I use wax because I have lots of options with it.
What options do you have with wax? I thought it was a one shot deal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The rubber package seals may or may not work in a given situation.
I can always make wax work. I carry regular wax and wax with horn. Depending on what I find determines which wax or combination I use.
I pre shim the bowl before setting the wax down. Then drop the wax and the bowl. I have installed thousands of bowls. You can find video on Youtube of first time installers doing their first install. Some of those videos are a disaster to watch. One I saw the guy was rocking the toilet back and forth after he was finished.
I have installed thousands of toilets, so my adv ice is based on what the plumbers are doing, not the homeowners.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is the guy who put the seal on the toilet first:

He makes several mistakes.
The closet bolts he uses are not tight enough in most cases.
He removes the old wax without wearing gloves. There is a putty knife sitting to the right that should have been used for that. He eventually picks it up and then uses his fingers again. Really?
The wax ring on the bowl can drop in the wrong spot. It's why plumbers don't take that chance.
He doesn't even check to see if the bowl will need shims. BIG Mistake.
He cuts the bolts before flushing to see if the seal is good. Always flush first. The bolts never get cut before checking the seal with a flush.
Plumbing code requires that the bowl is caulked to the floor, leaving the back near the wall open in case the seal fails.

Typical video done by someone that doesn't have to plumb for a living.

Jamie also sings in a band and I do video in addition to plumbing.

Last edited:

Daddyblaize

Reaction score
Terry, can you advise me on proper shims for the toilet—incidentally I did fabricate some 22 ga. “Stainless” wrapped in Layers of Masking tape cut into shape. You’re probably getting indigestion from hearing this, but tell me....will I ever be considered a plumber(Rhetorically—as i truly respect your craft)....And I know I should be tarred and feathered...lol and served with a “light Chianti...”

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every single manufactures instructions show placing the wax on the bowl first... Just wrong!! The only way to set a wax gasket is on top of the flange and before setting the bowl. His Bolts not tightened with nuts and washers to the flange? WUT?! Who does that? Running hot water over the wax? Just asking for a leaky seal... I had to stop watching that rolling disaster at that point.. Jeez.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks