pedestal sinks

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Christian Glock, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Christian Glock

Christian Glock New Member

I put in a pedestal sink and three weeks go by and the thing cracks! what went wrong here I have an idea but I was hoping for some confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  2. krow

krow Plumber

Plumber
    Depending where it cracked

I'm going to guess around the drain opening.
    1)P.O. plug was installed to tight.
    2)Drain opening was not perfectly round causing the PO plug not to sit square in the hole
    3) Bad make of sink
    4)Kids dropped something in the sink
    5) ect.............

Any number of reasons would be a cause

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    lav

There is no obvious reason why it should happen, therefore we would have to know WHERE it cracked because every spot could have a different cause.

5. RTAPlumbing

RTAPlumbing Plumber

i hate it for you. If you could upload a photo we could possibly tell more of what could have happened.

6. Christian Glock

Christian Glock New Member

It's a crack 4" long a 1/4" away from the drain. I was worried about the mounting bolts until the home owner told me this (he isn't blaming me thank goodness) . I don't think I tightened the drain much more than hand tight (it's pretty hard to over tighten the drain right?)
    Thanks for your help.

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    crack

You can "overtighten" a drain, but sometimes it is necessary to prevent a leak. Installing it just past handtight, would almost always guarantee a leak. That location, and depending on where it started and the direction, would usually indicate a weak spot in the sink and the drain caused stress that cracked it.