Patching Lead Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
OK, it is too complicated of a job for me, and most plumbers ..... so how DO a well trained plumber do it? Please use layman terms. Lots of words you guys throw around is beyond me, but I am willing to learn.

For starters I never use an open flame when repairing a lead waste line as that is foolhardy UNLESS you know how to use the feather of the flame not to burn a bigger hole in the lead

I clean the lead with shave hooks or a wire brush on a drill wearing face mask and goggles

I then take a ladle of molten solder normally 40 - 60 and place a cloth under the pipe /fitting to be repaired and getting a wiping cloth start to pour the solder and as it solidifies wipe the joint

The only reason I still do this type of repair is some of the homes I work in are over 100 years old and I do not want to destroy the marble or inlaid wood floors

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks