New Shouse under slab rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Shibby021

Reaction score
Hello, I built a post frame with 12 ft ceiling and the living area will be 8 ft ceiling. The part above the utility/bathroom that sticks out into the shop area will be a open loft so there can't be vent tubes sticking out of that area. I am seeking advice with the venting and the rough-in design as well.

Red - 4" pipe
Blue - 3"
Green - 2"

Dashed line is vent only line

The white boxes is the spot where the hydroponic radiant in-floor heating system will be mounted so the boiler running that system will be propane fueled.

A note, the elevation difference from the inlet hole at the septic tank to the floor of the building is 3'9" so that gives me more room to sink the system further down the ground if needed. There will need to be a drop pipe at the front of the double wye before that 4 inch pipe that goes out the building. I will put a 4" wye there then add a vertical pipe above it to be the clean out. and below it will drop a vertical line with 2 45 degree elbows at the bottom of the drop.

Click here for updated Design

Let me know what needs to be improved/changed.

Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing4.2.white.JPG
    plumbing4.2.white.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have not comprehensively reviewed your layout, but several initial comments:

1) Minnesota uses the UPC. Any vent serving a WC has to be 2"

2) Vents (wet or dry) need to come off a trap within 42" for a 1-1/2" trap, 60" for a 2" trap. Looks like your shower trap arm is too long. WCs need to be vented within 72" of pipe run (counts horizontal and vertical) from the closet flange.

3) No dry vents under the slab--a dry vent takeoff has to be vertical (at most 45 degrees from plumb) and remain vertical until at least 6" above the fixture flood rim.

4) Horizontal wet venting is restricted to bathroom group fixtures in one bathroom. So that would be lav, shower, WC, tub, floor drain. To use horizontal wet venting, the wet vented drains will need to be connected to the lav drain (typically) one by one, with no other fixtures connected until after all the wet vented bathroom fixtures are connected. The WC, if wet vented, needs to connect last.

5) So if you want the left-hand lav to wet vent any of the bathroom fixtures, you need to keep the kitchen sink drain in the lower left separate until downstream of all the wet vented bathroom fixtures.

6) If you are going to dry vent the lefthand WC as it passes under the wall (assuming that's within the 72" limit), you'll need to pull off a separate dry vent vertically (via an upright 3x3x2 combo). Then the washer standpipe will need its own dry vent, and its drain can join the WC downstream of the WC vent takeoff. The two dry vents can combine it the wall at least 6" above both fixture flood rims.

7) You don't show the drain routing for the lav on the right, but I suggest using it to wet vent the WC and floor drain in that half bath.

8) Double wyes should not be used horizontally as you can't set the slope of each branch inlet separately. Use two wyes one after another. (With great care and extra fall, is it possible to use them if in a tight spot where there isn't room for two wyes, but I don't see that situation in your layout).

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whole bunch of stuff wont work the vent for shower near laundry room wont work no horizontal vents like that work unless wet floor drain vent at laundry same thing except no horizontal vent for laundry rooms at all below flood level. the other bathroom I dont know how thats being vented so no comment there not too clear

Shibby021

Reaction score
Okay let's try a different way, let's focus on the half bathroom in the farm area (right hand side of design)

I have 2 designs, let me know which one is close to correct.

Thanks!

Attachments

• bathroom2.1.dark.JPG
    bathroom2.1.dark.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 67
  • bathroom2.2.white.JPG
    bathroom2.2.white.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 69

Reach4

Reaction score

The problem with #2 is that you have a horizontal dry vent to vent the toilet.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay let's try a different way, let's focus on the half bathroom in the farm area (right hand side of design)

I have 2 designs, let me know which one is close to correct.

Thanks!
The vents need to be vertical. You have a horizontal vent after your toilet.

To get around the vent being vertical you can drain a lavatory into you toilet vent. Like in bathroom 2.1. But your shower (I think it's a shower) still shows a horizontal vent under the floor. So mix the toilet from drawing 2.1 and the shower (or floor drain or whatever that is) from 2.2.

Last edited:

Shibby021

Reaction score
The vents need to be vertical. You have a horizontal vent after your toilet.

To get around the vent being vertical you can drain a lavatory into you toilet vent. Like in bathroom 2.1. But your shower (I think it's a shower) still shows a horizontal vent under the floor. So mix the toilet from drawing 2.1 and the shower (or floor drain or whatever that is) from 2.2.

That drain in the center of the room actually is floor drain, and the vent under the left wall is actually a drain for the propane boiler, it will have a p trap there about 6 inches off the floor so the tube from boiler will go in there.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about this one?
The standpipe for the boiler doesn't count as a plumbing fixture so the vent for the floor drain still needs to be vertical. You also want it to be vertical, the condensate from the boiler will cause it's drain to be nasty and will need cleaning, you'll want that to be easily kept clear and vertical helps.

Other than that it looks good.

In place of a ptrap in the wall you could also drain the boiler condensate into the tailpiece of the floor drain with piping under the floor. It's possible an inspector might not want your floor drain vent to be drained into with a standpipe. Just another option.

Shibby021

Reaction score
Okay I think I have it figured out, i took out the drain for the boiler for now to figure out how plumbing rough-in works first.

Attachments

• bathroom2.3.JPG
    bathroom2.3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 62
  • bathroom1.2.JPG
    bathroom1.2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 63

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
what about the pipe thats marked vent presumeably underfloor near a floor drain in laundry area going backwards towards the and coming up besides the washing machine vent ? I dont see that working

Shibby021

Reaction score
what about the pipe thats marked vent presumeably underfloor near a floor drain in laundry area going backwards towards the and coming up besides the washing machine vent ? I dont see that working
are you talking about the dashed line? if so yes it is under ground to provide vent for the lav, it will come up vertical through the wall until its above the lav line, and U turns back down to connect to the lav line. That's the only way i can figure out how to provide vent to it when above it is a storage loft area and cannot have a vent sticking out there.

Shibby021

Reaction score
I don't know if this works but air works any direction doesn't it? I attached a sketch I made to help get visual.

Otherwise the only other option I see is to run the vent vertically from the sink to the ceiling and run horizonal with the floor trusses across the room then do a 90 degree turn and drill holes through the floor trusses (2x8) to the wall between toilet and washer, 90 degree there to go vertical out the roof?

Attachments

• vent1.jpeg
    vent1.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that would need to be an island vent UPC code is strict that they can only be ran when its needed and it needs to be layed out a certain way your drawing wont meet that plus the floor drain needs to be downstream of the sink unlike drawing in photo attached to post number 17

Shibby021

Reaction score
that would need to be an island vent UPC code is strict that they can only be ran when its needed and it needs to be layed out a certain way your drawing wont meet that plus the floor drain needs to be downstream of the sink unlike drawing in photo attached to post number 17
would this work?

Attachments

• vent3.jpeg
    vent3.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 66

Shibby021

Reaction score
I just found out about AAV (Air Admittance Valve), so I guess I am gonna choose to cheat and use that instead.

Here's the latest updated design, hopefully it's looking good???

Attachments

• vent4.JPG
    vent4.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 70
  • vent5.JPG
    vent5.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 72
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks