P Trap Too Close to Joist

Users who are viewing this thread

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;
I'm hoping you can give me some suggestions on how to handle this problem.

I'm installing a new tub. The tub requires 14 1/4" from the wall to the drain.
Tub.JPG

The original drain was about 13 1/2 inches from the wall.
IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

My thought was that I would cut the copper drain pipe and put a transition hub to PVC, then run up to my tub, but it appears that the new PVC P trap is wider and takes up more space than the old cast copper one!!. Now I made a bad situation worse.

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

I don't think I can clock the fitting around, as it would probably push it too far inboard, plus It hits the water supply line

IMG_2046.JPG

This is a bit upsetting. Any help would be appreciated.

I can take up more of the subfloor, as all the tile in the bathroom is out now, if that helps any. I've already cut back an access hole in the plywood two the width of two joists. I'm not real comfortable drilling more holes in these joists, but maybe it is OK? I really don't know.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1) You have your trap reversed. Turn the bend around and you may not need to move the copper

2) Normally we use a solvent weld trap, not one with slip joints. (glued)

3) If you were using fittings that glued together, you could do a few things to make things line up. Even going away from where you want to be and then swing the swivel back to catch it.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Thanks Terry;
I picked up a solvent weld. I'll try flipping things around and see how that goes.

I appreciate the feedback.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Thank you. I picked up a solvent weld trap. Now, due to the increased thickness of the pipe, I'm hitting the copper again. I actually got 4 versions of it and the last one seems a bit more compact and looks like it might fit.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Here is where I'm at now.

I made a square plywood template and drilled a hole of the proper diameter through it to make sure I was lined up correctly. I will be gluing up and cutting the vertical pipe down to the proper size before gluing that up. I kept it long for now to have something substantial to put the level on, to make sure I wasn't cheating that part. I think it looks pretty reasonable.
IMG_2059.JPG

Newmantjn

Reaction score
@Catcher_chick;
Yes, and you saved my butt. I need to move the drain back towards the wall. I installed the overflow tube to get the measurements. Luckily, I didn't glue it up yet.

Scary win by the Pack today. They pulled it out, but sure didn't dominate like in the first half.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Hopefully, third time is a charm. I installed the overflow tube and measured from the wall edge to the center line of that tube. Drilled a new hole in my template and fit it up.

Here's where I am now. Thanks again for saving me from having to tear it out.
IMG_2061.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks