P Trap Interchange help.

Users who are viewing this thread

swest

Reaction score
Good day everyone, Long time viewer first time poster.

I like keeping my projects clean and I am struct with a simple fix but before I cut the abs pipe and add another straight coupling to extend a drain entry. Can you simply unscrew the p-trap union and buy a full assembly from the same company same part and simply use the trap part and screw it in the existing 90degree glued union joint.

I have a NIBCO 1-1/2 In. ABS P-Trap Union Joint and require to change the extension on the drain side tail piece side.
Or the P-Traps made to only properly fit the 2 pieces bought together. In my picture I want to keep the top part and simply screw in a new bottom part from another assembly same brand and part. Can i be done?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4a70268a-8c27-46cc-81ba-fd837b3da9be_4.jpg
    4a70268a-8c27-46cc-81ba-fd837b3da9be_4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 210

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I have a job which has one of those "P" traps, the first thing I do is get the SawZall and cut it off, then convert to a tubular drain assembly. But to answer your question, the traps are produced by extrusion presses so they make them all the same.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

swest

Reaction score
So all from the same mold, should all fit the same. Thanks.
I usually cut them off but I have no more pipe to use from the wall. Just coupling and bends and to make things simple just want to replace and not have more couplings going to the drain tail piece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks