French_guy

Reaction score
I've just installed 2 drop in sinks on a laminate countertop
Now, I need to install the p-traps
One of the stub-out is lower than the other one
See pictures:
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG

Is my only option to extend the tail pieces, then the p-trap arms are aligned with the drain in the wall?
Or can I do something that will help not having the p-trap so low, especially on the 1st picture?

Other question: the tail piece is 1-1/4, and I purchased a 1-1/2 p-trap. Is that OK, or I should have purchased 1-1/4 p-traps?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You use the outlet in the wall, or you open the wall and raise the santee.
The trap arm comes straight out with 2% grade. If it's too low, pick up a tail piece extension. The 1.5" is fine. Most of the p-traps, at least the ones I use also come with a 1.5" x 1.25" reducing slip coupling.

There is a reason that you don't "lift" the p-trap higher. The pipe in the wall above the drain is the vent, breaking any siphon that occures when the sink drains. Without the vent, the trap siphons, and you get to smell what a septic tanks smells like.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Last edited:

French_guy

Reaction score
Grrrrrrr.....don't want to open the wall, so I'll get a tailpiece extension and lower the p-trap then !!!!
I find the junction tailpiece (1.25") - ptrap (1.5") a little bit "woobly"...Is this normal, or there are better quality p-trap kits (I got mine at HD for $3.46...)

MKS

Reaction score
I don't see a trap adapter.
Would it be glued into the fitting in the wall or to a short piece of pipe extended out from the fitting in the wall still allowing room for the trap arm?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score