Ozone Filtration, Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Traderfjp

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new house and the well water is not too bad. There is some Chloroform Bacteria, PH is 5.5 to 6.3, Iron is on the higher side at .6 which is about twice the suggested level. Hardness is not bad at 18ppm 17.1 is at the end of the range of soft water so I don't think I need to treat for that. The water has a rotten egg smell so sulfur is present. One filtration expert is suggesting an iron filter, carbon filter and then a UV light. He says that ozone is not proven and is a very corrosive to metals. Another guy who sells ozone systems states that this technology has been around for a very long time and is widely used in Europe and companies that bottle water use it as do some municipalities. Everything I read about ozone sounds great. It naturally raises the PH, oxidizes iron manganese, etc. The thing I like most is that ozone is a powerful method for killing viruses, and bacteria in water. I'm stilling learning about all these different options but ozone seems like the way to go. Any opinions on Ozone?

Traderfjp

Reaction score
Did some more reading and seems like ozone dissipates out of the water pretty quickly and a good carbon filter will remove any residuals. If that is the case than, unless I'm wrong once the water passes through the carobon filter there wouldn't be any ozone left in the water to react to metal faucets, hot water heaters, etc.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This question is far more complicated than can be adequately addressed here in a DIY forum. I will make this simple and preface it with a "this is my opinion, other will have different opinions"

Ozone can be a very successful water treatment method but it tends to be considerably more expensive, and potentially more problematic than some other methods. Regardless you should consider a redundant treatment process.

I tend to lean towards simplicity and reliability over "It is used in Europe".

My recommendation would be a simple chlorine injection system to a contact tank (ozone also uses a contact tank when it is used as the primary method for bacterial control) with a katalox light tank, then a UV system. Ozone is not typically relied upon for raising pH.

Controlling the pH can be as simple as a chemical injection system for raising the pH or using calcite filter, but this may necessitate the need for a softener.

Your water treatment issues should be considered a little more. I would recommend you call me to discuss as this topic has so many variables that it would take a few hundred more words to even scratch the surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks