Over pressure protection for submersible well pump

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JOS, Sep 3, 2020.

1. JOS

JOS New Member

I installed a low yield well system recently, consisting of a submersible pump that fills a poly tank and a jet pump that draws from the poly tank to charge a pressure tank and supply water. The 1/2 hp submersible pump is controlled by a float switch and is wired through a Franklin control box equipped with Pumptec QD.

To balance the pumping rate with my well's yield, I am throttling the flow with a globe valve. However, I am concerned about the possibility of the valve working itself closed or of sand blocking the valve which would reduce the flow to near zero gpm and cause the submersible pump to overheat.

I would like to install a mechanical switch on the pump that would open if the pump overpressures, but would not reclose (and restart the submersible pump) when the pressure drops. I guess I am looking for a pressure switch that is -1 to 100 psi. Is there such a thing? Would this overpressure safety be easier to accomplish with a pressure sensor and relay? Thanks.

2. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement