Outlet placement please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
kitchen 1.jpg

As per NEC 210.52 the 6 foot 12 foot rule and no outlets below a counter overhang greater than 6 inches.

where does the 6 feet start at the cabinet of at the end of the overhang?

Stuff

Reaction score
It starts at the cabinet edge as everything is measured at floor level. Some inspectors might give you some slack.
And it is not that there are no outlets below the overhang, but that they don't count for the required countertop outlets.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't have the answer you are looking for, but I have never regretted putting in a lot of outlets. I would have one above the countertop 18" in from the edge of the counter, and another down low on the wall, centered between the edge of the counter and the edge of the window.

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
thanks for the info
I'm trying to meet code, place outlets where I feel I will require them while minimizing the number cut into the outside wall, it is a SIP and excessive outlets will decrease the r value of the walls

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Outlets just below a counter would allow wires overhanging where someone (child) could easily snag the cord and pull a hot appliances on top of them. Always think in safety terms. One reason why counter top appliances have short cords other than an outlet is usually close by above the counter.

Reach4

Reaction score
NEC 210.52(C)1-5 A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each counter space 12-inches or wider and at each island counter or peninsular space greater than 24-inches by 12-inches. Receptacles shall be located not more than 20-inches above the countertop, or not more than 12-inches below the countertop and must not be located below a countertop overhang greater than 6 inches.​

I would think that this refers to requirement outlets serving the countertop, and not requirements for outlet requirements for a wall. I would think that an outlet in your counter at the same height as your wall outlets would be a good place to plug in a vacuum cleaner etc. And thus might let you have one less outlet on the outside wall. Another option would be to use a floor outlet.

But I am not sure. I am not an electrician. If the section I cited above is not the one you are referring to, what are you referring to?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
NEC 2014, 210.52, (A),(1) "Spacing" ... Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks