Outdoor Fire Pit Gas Psi Noise - need help pls

Users who are viewing this thread

embo

Reaction score
In all the fire ring "kits" that I see basically there is the ring, an ignition box, some have a regulator, orifice, key valve, whistle-fee flex line, and some other miscellaneous items but nothing directly related to controlling the air/gas flow mix. The ignition box doesn't do anything except light the fire and/or shut the gas off if the flame were to go out and the pit was unattended. But no mixing of anything.

The orifice is installed directly between the fire ring and the connecting supply line what ever that might be (flex or hard). Air/gas mix is only controlled with the key valve.

At the moment, I have just the orifice installed and we will probably stick with this setup for now. I am wondering however about my question above regarding the extra valve set up that would be farther away from the pit and therefore maybe not allow the noise of the gas over the valve to reach the pit with the intensity that it does when the valve at the pit is used.

End goal - largest flame possible with least amount of noise with given set up. 36" penta fire ring, 6.5 w.c. residential (verified today be gas company) and currently one key valve and orifice installed that is made for 300,000 btu fire ring.

Thanks for any and all help. I love forums where shared info can help not only me the one asking questions but pass on info to others who might need some help in the future and to know what someone else did.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know if that would work or not. your trying now to make the noise farther away from fire pit. your in uncharted waters. cant tell you anything else. let us know what you learn

embo

Reaction score
BACK AT IT

Wanted to get advice on where to install a regulator that is offered for natural gas fire pits. The orifice I installed did cut down on the sound in our fire pit but it just isn't enough. The next option suggested was a regulator, which I have purchased. My question is where does this regulator get installed - meaning how close to the fire pit. All the pictures in this thread are still valid and haven't changed. I was thinking just before the key valve (installed below the fire pit where the gas line reduces down. Would this be the best place?

Key Valve.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Normally a regulator is installed close to the burner but in your case if you ran the pipe under your deck i would mount it there. Regulators have a vent and has to breathe. Under the deck there shouldn't be a problem with snow blocking the vent. Regulators are sized by indoor , outdoor, btu and outlet pressure. Outlet pressure is determined by the regulator 's spring which is changeable. With pipe length, fittings and valve pressure drop I'd try a spring of 5" -7" pressure.

embo

Reaction score
Thank you. There is quite a bit of room and air flow under the burner but maybe you are saying it is too close to the burner that sits above. I have vents on either side of the brick that allows air to flow around the pipes in the picture.

Thank you for your suggestion and the setting to try as well. :)

Last edited:

embo

Reaction score
Ok...that answers that. Under the deck it goes. Thank you.....much.

FranMC

Reaction score
BACK AT IT

Wanted to get advice on where to install a regulator that is offered for natural gas fire pits. The orifice I installed did cut down on the sound in our fire pit but it just isn't enough. The next option suggested was a regulator, which I have purchased. My question is where does this regulator get installed - meaning how close to the fire pit. All the pictures in this thread are still valid and haven't changed. I was thinking just before the key valve (installed below the fire pit where the gas line reduces down. Would this be the best place?

View attachment 66038
Oh, God! Why all the troubles? I’d be crazy just to look at this. What do you think about the usual deck fire pit? Isn't it easier and comfortable to use?

sajesak

Reaction score
First time post - Recently added a new gas line separate from the line running all the appliances in the house. Tapped into the service side of the meter using a Tee. Out of the gas meter, we have 3/4 inch suppling both the appliances in the house on one line and also one line going directly to the fire pit. About 1.5 ft of 3/4 inch line from meter then 1 inch line for house appliances. That same 3/4 inch line from the meter uses a tee and it changes into a 1 1/4 inch line to the fire pit table accessories. about 1.5 ft before fire pit connection, line goes from 1 1/4 to 3/4 through a Key Valve and about 12 inches of 3/4 to fire pit ring.

Issue is when the key valve is turned on, slowly, we hear the gas flowing through the key valve and it gets louder the more we increase the gas. Until finally about 3/4 full throttle, the noise starts to dissipate some. Full open and the noise is almost gone. Wondering how to reduce that noise at the lower settings. I believe the noise simple the pressure of the gas flowing through the key valve. The more closed the valve is the more restricted the gas therefore making more noise. Should there be a regulator installed to reduce the gas psi but keep the volume of the gas the same? Is that possible.

Fire Pit ring is 300,000 BTU. Hopefully I have described this enough that you pros can help me get this figured out.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Summer is just around the corner and I'm looking to get a nice firepit table for my backyard. I've seen lots of different BTU ratings but not sure which ones would be suitable to stay warm with for late spring, summer, early fall in Toronto. Anyone have any recommendations on BTU rating and/or firepit tables? Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Summer is just around the corner? I guess that is a positive way to think of it.

The more btu's the bigger the flame. It really depends how close you want to be to the fire and stay warm. If you want to huddle around the fire then a smaller btu output. If you want be away from the fire and feel the warmth then you'll want more btu's. You're not gonna heat the outdoors so there's not a proper way to size this. It's just a preference on your part.

SdSlim

Reaction score
First time post - Recently added a new gas line separate from the line running all the appliances in the house. Tapped into the service side of the meter using a Tee. Out of the gas meter, we have 3/4 inch suppling both the appliances in the house on one line and also one line going directly to the fire pit. About 1.5 ft of 3/4 inch line from meter then 1 inch line for house appliances. That same 3/4 inch line from the meter uses a tee and it changes into a 1 1/4 inch line to the fire pit. about 1.5 ft before fire pit connection, line goes from 1 1/4 to 3/4 through a Key Valve and about 12 inches of 3/4 to fire pit ring.

Issue is when the key valve is turned on, slowly, we hear the gas flowing through the key valve and it gets louder the more we increase the gas. Until finally about 3/4 full throttle, the noise starts to dissipate some. Full open and the noise is almost gone. Wondering how to reduce that noise at the lower settings. I believe the noise simple the pressure of the gas flowing through the key valve. The more closed the valve is the more restricted the gas therefore making more noise. Should there be a regulator installed to reduce the gas psi but keep the volume of the gas the same? Is that possible.

Fire Pit ring is 300,000 BTU. Hopefully I have described this enough that you pros can help me get this figured out.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Were you able to get rid of the noise? I’m having the same problem with a fire pit my pool builder put in. It’s distracting it’s so loud. Thought about putting on an orifice at the burner if that works.

Bannerman

Reaction score
SdSlim, it could be the piping that supplies your fire pit may be too small for the total length of run, and the number of elbows, tees etc, as each fitting will cause a flow restriction equal to a specific length of straight pipe.

Is there any corrugated flexible tubing in that run? Corrugated tubing is not as smooth as black iron pipe (BIP} internally, so the rated BTU will be lower than the equal diameter and length of BIP, and noise will often occur due to the velocity of gas flowing through that tubing when the appliance BTU input requirement is close to the capacity of the corrugated tubing.

In addition to the questions above, what is the BTU input requirement for your fire pit, and is there a pressure regulator located directly at the fire pit gas inlet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks