Fire pit regulator for 2 psi service

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich.e

Reaction score
Short story version - I have 3/4" PE running 70' from the meter to a fire pit at 2 psi. I need to put a regulator on the line to get ~7" W.C. at the 300,000 btu fire pit burner.

Questions-

Opinions on putting the regulator directly into the cavity of the pit under the burner plate? I have seen many pictures of installs where this has been done, though doesn't mean it's correct. I have a Pietro Fiorentini 31052 I had planned to use.

Given the 2 psi service would a viable alternative be to put the regulator at the meter? From the sizing charts @ 70' a 3/4 PE line should be able to provide over 500k btu utilizing 14" W.C.. Then, if still too much pressure at the burner I could reduce the regulator output until I hit the magic number.

Alternate approaches?

Thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide!

Existing work permitted and inspected. Just need to regulate the pressure.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Short story version - I have 3/4" PE running 70' from the meter to a fire pit at 2 psi. I need to put a regulator on the line to get ~7" W.C. at the 300,000 btu fire pit burner.

Questions-

Opinions on putting the regulator directly into the cavity of the pit under the burner plate? I have seen many pictures of installs where this has been done, though doesn't mean it's correct. I have a Pietro Fiorentini 31052 I had planned to use.

Given the 2 psi service would a viable alternative be to put the regulator at the meter? From the sizing charts @ 70' a 3/4 PE line should be able to provide over 500k btu utilizing 14" W.C.. Then, if still too much pressure at the burner I could reduce the regulator output until I hit the magic number.

Alternate approaches?

Thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide!

Existing work permitted and inspected. Just need to regulate the pressure.
How would 70' of pe pipe provide 500 when black pipe would only do 80ish

Rich.e

Reaction score
How would 70' of pe pipe provide 500 when black pipe would only do 80ish
@ 14" W.C.? According to the chart below Sched 40 can do 482k @70' with a supply pressure of 11" W.C.

Sch 40 Table.png

This is the table referenced in my OP-
Gastite PE Table.png

It is quite possible that I am misinterpreting the tables ‍

However, if these tables are accurate, and my thinking sound, it seems like I should be able to put a regulator at the meter end to take 2 psi down to 14" W.C. and get the supply needed at the burner (300k). That's really the crux of my initial question. However, theory and execution do not always align.

Reach4

Reaction score
Natural gas is normally regulated down to 6 or 7 inch WC.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
@ 14" W.C.? According to the chart below Sched 40 can do 482k @70' with a supply pressure of 11" W.C.

View attachment 84315

This is the table referenced in my OP-
View attachment 84316

It is quite possible that I am misinterpreting the tables ‍

However, if these tables are accurate, and my thinking sound, it seems like I should be able to put a regulator at the meter end to take 2 psi down to 14" W.C. and get the supply needed at the burner (300k). That's really the crux of my initial question. However, theory and execution do not always align.
Yes it'll work and you can regulate to where you need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks