Open Loop Geo + Irrigation with CSV(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also posted this on the cyclestopvalve.com forum ... Any thoughts?

I saw on some other threads using a second CSV and booster pump for occasional higher pressure usage on a mostly low-pressure open-loop geothermal heat pump application. Is there any way to do this without the booster pump? Was thinking of 2 CSVs in parallel, each able to operate the well pump. Would something like that work? Each of the 2 branches would be flowing at different pressures, and the well pump would shut down when the last branch stops calling for water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The idea of two pumps is so the well pump can be much smaller for the Geo at lower pressure. Instead of a 1HP pump feeding the Geo and house at high pressure, a 1/2HP pump feeds the Geo and the 1/2HP booster pump only comes on when the house uses water, as the house needs more pressure tan the Geo. You can have as many different pressures coming off the 1HP pump as you like, but it is still going to pull twice the load of a 1/2HP pump.

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
The idea of two pumps is so the well pump can be much smaller for the Geo at lower pressure. Instead of a 1HP pump feeding the Geo and house at high pressure, a 1/2HP pump feeds the Geo and the 1/2HP booster pump only comes on when the house uses water, as the house needs more pressure tan the Geo. You can have as many different pressures coming off the 1HP pump as you like, but it is still going to pull twice the load of a 1/2HP pump.
My 1/2 HP will generate the max pressure and volume i need for both applications, so wish to avoid the additional expense of booster pump. I suppose I could also just use a single CSV running at the higher pressure needed for irrigation, but would that result in higher power consumption (same flow through the Hays fixed flow restrictor)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your fixed flow regulators were probably made for use with normal 50 PSI house pressure. The heat pump doesn't mind the extra pressure. You already have just a 1/2HP pump, so a two pump system won't let you install a smaller pump than that.

Fitter30

Reaction score
What gpm and pressure are do you want for irrigation? By changing heads could you use your existing pump. Geo system doesn't have to dump waste water back into the well it an go to irrigation with two valves. A shut off and to irrigation. Geo system is using 2-3 gpm per ton.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks