Old spout replacement - I can't figure out what/how/where the nipple is connected to. It's a weird Elbow or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Flnap

Reaction score
Good Morning.
I have an old bathroom (50's) that I am trying to keep the original style and not breaking the tiles. The bathtub has two faucets (Kohler) system, and a spout with a front diverter. I wanted to replace it, but when I removed it, I noticed that only 1/2 inch of a nipple thread was out of the wall and corroded (pic 1) so I figured I had to replace the nipple before install the new spout.

Image 10-17-22 at 12.12 PM.jpeg

I carefully removed all the cement around the pipe until I saw the elbow ring (or what I believe is an elbow). I tried 3 different nipple extractors, and added spray lubricant (blaster) between the nipple and the elbow ring but nothing worked! the nipple was still super glued to the elbow :(

IMG_2848.jpg

I didnt want to force too much (I was very temped to, though) to avoid breaking something, plus I dont know if it was a threaded elbow or a socket welded elbow.

An alternative to nipple extractors would be making two parallel cuts in the nipple to remove it (I saw that in YouTube).

However there are two problems:
  1. How do I know, without breaking the wall, it's a threaded and not a welded elbow?
  2. Looking throgh the interior of the nipple, I saw something that I have no clue what it is, but its not like a simple elbow looks from the inside, I think. I took some pics and added the some measurements to try to understand.
IMG_2849.jpg

Is there a solution (that doesnt involve having to break the wall) or should I just forget all of that and use the existing nipple threat, (or what its still left of it) to connect a new spout using teflon tape, gorilla glue or whatever?

I appreciate any info, advice and/or suggestions on that.

Thank you, and a good week for all!
Tony

Flnap

Reaction score
What is on the other side of that wall?

That photo looks like a twin ell, except that the dimensions on your lower photo look too big. Your nipple photo does not look to big, and it is in line with having a twin ell.
See attachment in #10.
I think you nailed! That's what I have there. Thank you!
I wonder why I have a Twin Ell inside my bathroom wall instead a simple and efficient elbow.
So, if the nipple is connected directly to the Twin Ell, is that means I can try, again, a nipple extrator and replace the niplle?

It seems to have a thread just like a regular elbow.

The other side of the wall was originally a laundry room. Former owners remodeled the kitchen, incorporating that space by eliminating the other wall. The wall between the "new kitchen" and the bathroom is the original

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So try the extractor if that doesn't work you'll have to open wall from kitchen side might be preferable

Last edited by a moderator:

Flnap

Reaction score
You could install an access panel if it came to that.

The purpose of the twin ell is make the showerhead not dribble if the spout, and the path to the spout, have too much resistance.

So will you be able to extract the remainder of the nipple with an easy-out or nipple extractor? I don't know. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Pipe-Nipple-Extractor-Set-6-Piece-410-391-0111/309997715
Got it, will keep that in mind.
Extractor: I tried that type (similar from harbor freight) but it didn't grip. Then I tried the internal pipe wrench set and it holds. But as I said before I didn't want to force too much before knowing what type of connection I had there (the Twin Ell).
this is the one I got:

Flnap

Reaction score
so try the extractor if that dosent work youll have to open wall from kitchen side might be preferable
hopefully not!!! lol
but that is a good idea, the problem is that they add custom made cabinets with wall oven and stuff. So my plan will be:
1. try a little bit more with the extractor/internal pipe wrench;
2. I will try to install a spout that can "grasp" in the little thread that I have there
3. if none of that work I will try to cut it like in this video (its risky but it might work):
4. withdraw myself from the battlefield and hire a plumber...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks