Can't get Delta tub spout in proper orientation AND against the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

JacksonC

Reaction score
This is the same problem that Pat Furrie posted about in 2018, but I did not see a good answer to his question. I replaced an old Delta pull-up tub spout with a new Delta RP17453 pull-down spout. I did not replace the existing fitting because it is in good shape, is identical to the new fitting, and is soldered to the copper pipe nipple. The location of the old fitting is within the dimension tolerances from the wall given for the new one. The new spout tightens firmly against the wall before the spout is oriented correctly; I need about a half turn more to get it into position and I definitely fear breaking something if I tighten more. When I leave the spout short of the wall in order to have it in the right orientation, the o-ring apparently seals fine against the inside of the spout in this untightened position, so leaking does not appear to be an issue. Short of a thick layer of silicone sealant between the spout and the wall to try and stabilize the spout, is there a clever solution? Also, the new spout is much better than the old in terms of securely diverting water to the shower, but when water comes out the spout to fill the tub I hear a constant gurgling noise from the shower head which I never did with the old pull-up Delta spout. Is this characteristic of pull-down spouts? Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if its how that spout always sounds but perhaps a showerhead that's more open or has the water saver removed may cause more noise.
Tub spouts and related parts are not built with utmost precision so that each and every model will screw on and get tight at the same place , orientation. that you'll have to deal with.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The gurgling noise is there because of too much back pressure from the spout and the diverter is part way closing for shower use.

Reach4

Reaction score
Short of a thick layer of silicone sealant between the spout and the wall to try and stabilize the spout, is there a clever solution?
The pipe that the adapter is on is not square to the wall. Can you bend the pipe a tad? Maybe insert a rod into the end of the pipe, and apply some bending force. How about inserting some spacer material around one side of the hole in the wall to force the pipe more square.

Also, if you decide to use caulking to fill the gap, do you want silicone caulk, or do you want siliconized latex caulk? I don't have an answer for that, but you can look around for opinions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
100% silicone caulk is harder to work with but will last longer than one with some acrylic in it.

Can you access the screws on the drop-ear el in the wall? YOu might try loosening them a fraction of a turn to let the spout turn a little more to align where you want.

If the pipe is not perpendicular to the wall, you might try tweaking it carefully.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks