Old sink, ptrap below floor, upsize ptrap?

Users who are viewing this thread

crazypipes

Reaction score
I'm restoring an 1800's farm house and hoping to keep this really cool old pedestal sink in use. The way the sink is designed, there's no way to get the ptrap within 24" of the drain. The drain goes through a porcelain pedestal that has no cutout for a trap. It has to go below the floor to keep the sink.

The sink is pretty low by design, but the closest I could get a ptrap would be around 34" below the drain. I don't have to worry about inspections, this town has no zoning or building codes, but I do want to avoid siphoning of course. Would upsizing the ptrap to 2" (or heck, 3" could be done) help mitigate the siphoning risk?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use a 1.5" trap under the sink. If the trap is vented then siphoning should be negligible. Most of the use of a bathroom sink is just the faucet running which is a small amount of water which won't cause a large slug of water to rush down, which is the reasoning to have a maximum height for the tailpiece. But oversizing the trap creates a situation where the flow from the sink doesn't scour and self clean the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks