Old Sink Drain - Need to tie into it somehow

Users who are viewing this thread

wilked

Reaction score
Hello. First, thanks for reading, I appreciate it!

Basement bathroom, not a luxury spot and my wife refuses to use it, but it's functional and serves its purpose. 100 year old house, moved in 5 years ago and the sink valves barely gave a trickle. The sink looked very old, maybe original. I found a used wall-mount sink w/ faucet for $25, pulled the old one off, new one on, replaced the valves with sharkbite valves. Water works great but drain obviously doesn't line up, needs to come out a bit, maybe 2 inches.

I am thinking that underneath that cladding is a cast iron pipe that I can cut and do a no hub connection to, but not sure. I really don't want to break anything behind the wall. Bathroom is framed in, no access behind it, but I can see the main drain running along the wall on each side of it (unfinished basement).

I could use any advice you have, thanks

eKaavPQ.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This might work. I’m doing this from an iPad so it’s a little difficult to show pictures. Get a drain without a pop up. May have to cut the tail piece some and slip on a flexible drain tail pipe. You need 1 1/4” washer for the p trap connection.

Get one of these with overflow drain. It what looks like you need go to Home Depot site and copy and paste this to the search bar.
“PF WaterWorks DecoDRAIN Grid Strainer Drain for Bathroom Vanity/Lavatory/Vessel/Sink, Plated ABS Body with Overflow”

Need one of these, search HD site.
Everbilt 1-1/4 in. PVC Form N Fit Slip Joint Tailpiece

wilked

Reaction score
Looks like it to me Terry

I think I'm going to open the wall around the drain and explore behind it. Will report back

Mkap413

Reaction score
What did you find? I have the same setup and I would like to remove the drain to rework for a new vanity. Glad I saw this. Thanks!

Scottz

Reaction score
I have a similar drain pipe. The flared metal piece that goes to the wall turned out to be a thin metal piece around a galvanized steel pipe with threads. In my case, an elbow was threaded on, not a complete trap.

CD1922C9-4B35-47AB-8769-658BAA212F20_1_105_c.jpeg

Thinking that it was a solder joint as Terry suggested, I heated it with a propane torch until I could turn the elbow with a pipe wrench. Surprise, it turned out to be threaded! Below is what it looked like after removal. The threads on the galvanized steel pipe were rusted out, which is why the joint was leaking.

3853271A-F177-4ACE-B83A-3A2209DFA54F_1_105_c.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks