OK to add height to p-trap outflow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodpecker

Reaction score
I'm installing a new sink and counter in our bathroom.
The sink and tailpiece are vertically deep enough and the wall tube (drain, outflow) is high enough that the p-trap I bought won't quite reach (upwards) the wall tube.
Can I add a vertical extension piece to the outflow side of the p-trap? Will that be a problem with keeping the p-trap water "refreshed"?

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You mean an extension down to the p-trap?

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I think he wants that extension on the other side of the trap because the waste pipe coming out of the wall is too high but the sink drain is too low.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I'd probably open up the wall and see if I could lower the waste pipe.

Regardless, you'd still want the waste pipe to be lower than the drain otherwise your sink will always have water. You'd probably also want it lower than the actuator arm for the popup stopper.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Reaction score
Actually I meant an extension up from the other side of the p-trap since the drain in the wall (waste pipe) was a bit too high for my p-trap (but still lower than the drain in the sink).
But Wayne gave the solution (cut the too-long sink tailpiece) that I wasn't seeing because it looked like stainless steel. Turns out it is brass and a guy at a local hardware/plumbing supply store cut it for me when I went to buy a better hacksaw blade.
Thanks all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks