Odd (to me) Well setup and & pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwilliams2000

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a setup like this? The system is all pretty old and likely needs replacing but having the pressure switch like that seemed very strange to me, but maybe not?

press-627.jpg
press-626.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
1. That is perfectly OK, since the copper tubing is not carrying flow. So its pressure drop will be low. I would guess the major reason was to get that pressure switch out of the potential flood zone.

2. There appears to be a check valve between the pipe from the submersible pump to the tank tee. This is usually not a good idea from a performance point of view. One advantage of no check valve above ground is that the lines to the well stay pressurized, so will not suck in contamination. There has been a lot of discussion.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is actually a good way to do a pressure switch. We do that a lot. Like Reach says remove that check valve to the left of the tank cross. Replacing that check valve with a Cycle Stop Valve would give you strong constant pressure to the house and make your pump last several times longer. Or better yet, if you are replacing that old tank use a PK1A kit with the CSV and a 4.5 gallon size tank, which will save you lots of space and money as well as give stronger pressure to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks