Odd size shower valve stems, smaller than 21/32

Users who are viewing this thread

Trace

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the stems and handles in our tub after the shower handle essentially stripped and could only be turned on and off with pliers; and the pliers slowly stopped being effective as the valve stem itself started getting stripped.

No clue as to what brand we have, but the smallest valve stem removal socket I can find is 21/32, and it's too big still.

Because the part it needs to grip is recessed into the wall, even our skinniest pliers can't get good enough purchase on it to turn it to get it loose.

Is there a smaller valve stem socket out there that I'm just not searching for with the right key words? Or has somebody run into the same issue and have a workaround for this?

It's a rent house, so I can't knock out the tile to get to the inside to just remove the whole shebang, and I'm trying to avoid calling a plumber because our landlord is a bum who charges us for everything.

The house was built in 1952, so for all I know this is the original stuff that was put in way back then.

My guess for the sizing of what we'd need is 17-19/32, but nothing smaller than 21/32 seems to exist.

trace-01.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
There are 5/8 (20/32) inch spark plug wrenches. Those would be 6-sided.

There are deep sockets that might work. 6-sided is better than 12-sided.

I have no knowledge of your valve.

Trace

Reaction score
I'll try the one for spark plugs then. It could work. Not sure if 20/32 would be small enough, but it's at least better than what I've got, so it's worth trying.

Trace

Reaction score

Thanks for the link! Going to try to get ahold of that in the next couple of days. I think I'm going to cut a strip of paper and mark exactly how big around the valve nut is to make sure I don't end up going too far the opposite direction and having it be too small. Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm fine with baths, but my husband and daughter are losing their minds not being able to use the shower. Lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks