Oatey #5 - Safe for drinking water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abc

Reaction score
Recently hired a plumber to run some new lines for the kitchen sink and fridge water line. I noticed he used Oatey #5 flux paste which appears to be petroleum based.

My question is, is it safe to drink the water on these lines? I was under the impression that he should have used water soluble flux. He said to just run a few gallons of water through the faucet, but with a newborn in the house, I want to make sure the water quality is safe. Thank you in advance and God bless!

Mliu

Reaction score
According to Oatey's product page for No. 5 Paste Flux:
  • NSF standard 14 (performance) and standard 61 (health effects) certified
  • Material is safe for use in potable water applications
According to the product's SDS, the primary ingredient is Petrolatum (commonly known as "petroleum jelly" or by the common trade name, "Vaseline"). This is what they mean by "petroleum-based." Petrolatum is commonly used in cosmetics (including lip balms) and ointments. The FDA considers it safe.

Last edited:

Abc

Reaction score
According to Oatey's product page for No. 5 Paste Flux:
  • NSF standard 14 (performance) and standard 61 (health effects) certified
  • Material is safe for use in potable water applications
According to the product's SDS, the primary ingredient is Petrolatum (commonly known as "petroleum jelly" or by the common trade name, "Vaseline"). This is what they mean by "petroleum-based." Petrolatum is commonly used in cosmetics (including lip balms) and ointments. The FDA considers it safe.
Thank you very much for the info!

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've been giving the whole LL potable water valves, etc a thought lately with some upcoming projects.
Aside from the last mile run (which is whatever fittings, connections @ home), what about the many miles of water underground before it has reached the house

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks