Noobie asks ... Such a thing as a cartridge stem extender?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveyJJ

Reaction score
Can't find such a thing on Home Depot or Lowes/Rona so here's my question ...

Installing a new one handle Moen shower handle, and shower arm and head. Going well until I came to the part that once I put the stop tube onto the valve, and screwed the escuteon on, the key stop and adjustable limit stop only go so far into the end of the stop tube extending the stop tube too far out of the shower wall (about an inch) so that the handle adaptor now can't reach to slide onto the cartridge stem and get screwed on.

The install pictures show the cartridge stem out past the end of the stop tube by 1/2" or so.

Is there something like an extender I can add onto the cartridge stem that would lengthen it by an inch so that the handle adaptor can attach and screw to the extender with the slide tube pulled out the the minimum length I need it? Searching on HD.ca and Lowes.ca turned up nothing.

Thanks for any help. This would complete my small bathroom reno project and, as usual, it's the last job that causes a hiccup.

Later edit ... Moen sells an extender kit (96945) that has the one part I seemingly need ... a small brass (metal?) extender the fits on the cartridge end to lengthen it. It is literally that one part I need, not the whole kit (except for perhaps a longer bolt). May need to buy the kit at this point for that one piece.

Last edited:

DaveyJJ

Reaction score
Thanks hj! I'm not the guy who did the valve and plumbing for this bathroom and I think that the valve itself is probably too far back compared to the shower wall. It doesn't at all protrude into the shower space at all and is just barely is level with it. The previous escuteon was concave while the new one from Moen is flat, hence the gap?

Oh, and Cave Creek, AZ? Our first home was just north of E Deer Valley west of Cave Creek Road. Small world.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks