Replaced MOEN shower cartridge and it's dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

sergek

Reaction score
My shower was slightly leaking for 3 months (yes, I had some other issues and neglected it). It was leaking from the shower head, so on the walls of the shower there are white calcium deposits. Anyway, yesterday I replaced it. And to my frustration, it still drips from the top. Much less than before, but it's not dry, as I expected. I tried to remove and re-insert it 3 times, before 3rd time I cleaned copper hole with the tooth brush, and open central water valve for a 2 secs to blow all debrees off. Still the same.. What should I do?
This is 11 y.o. installation.
Old cartridge have numbers on white plastic part: MOEN 158084 158085 30313 01:40
So I bought Danco 88675A (compares to Moen 1222). Is it the right one?
What to do, to stop this drip?
Now after I cleaned old cartridge in vinegar and tooth brush, could I install it back, or it's waste?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Bad cartridge. Yes, you can reinstall the old. But the seals related to leaking at the water outlet (in your case a shower head) are internal. So cleaning the external cartridge does nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks