Noisy sink drain after replacing dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer55

Reaction score
Hi, i installed a new dishwasher to replace my old one and now notice the sink is very loud when the dishwasher is draining water. Have a dual sink setup with the dw tee in between both sinks horizontally and angle of the small tee is pointing towards sink with trap directly below it. Figure it's because this dw has much higher velocity pump because it also drains way quicker than old one! Although much louder now :(

Can I reposition the tee somewhere else to help with noise? Don't have a lot of room in cabinet to place it vertical in line with the sink that has trap below it.... does the trap have to be below one of the sinks? Have some room off to the side. Wondering if I could have it run horizontal sink>sink>dw tee and then into trap.... Might take away some of the velocity noise happening?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Washer55

Reaction score
Do you have an autovent under your sink. AAV vent? Your drain shouldn't be loud unless you have one of these or you ptrap is S-Trapped
What is the difference in P vs S?

No AAV vent and believe it's a P trap in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Washer55

Reaction score
Note i didn't change drain configuration when I replaced the dishwasher. The dw tee line pours in basically beside the vertical line going to the trap... Wondering if I move it further away from that spot along the horizontal line between the sinks?

Do you have to have the trap below one of the sinks or could I run sink>sink>dw tee horizontally and then to the trap?

Washer55

Reaction score
See below. Excuse the drain line until I get this noise figured out. Had it higher and did not change things and dw working great in terms of washing/ draining just noisy. Perhaps it's the more powerful drain pump splashing into the vertical line?

Attachments

• tmp_21165-Img-1272896166.jpg
    tmp_21165-Img-1272896166.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Reaction score
Looks like your dishwasher is draining into a regular Tee, and you might want to try a baffled-Tee instead.

And verify without a doubt that what you have after the trap is vented or wet vented. If not, this is where an AAV is installed (about a foot after the trap).

Washer55

Reaction score
Looks like your dishwasher is draining into a regular Tee, and you might want to try a baffled-Tee instead.

And verify without a doubt that what you have after the trap is vented or wet vented. If not, this is where an AAV is installed (about a foot after the trap).

Ok will have to see what a baffled tee is and see where I can get one!

Confirmed no aav installed. That line heads downstairs and right over to vent stack

Reach4

Reaction score
To help work around this a bit, try closing the sink drains during dishwashing. Maybe even add an inch or so of water into drain basket.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your dishwasher is draining very well, which makes noise. Sometimes when the pipes are new, and things are running well, you do hear more water running. That's not always a bad thing.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Not what you ask, but you need an air gap or a high loop in the dishwasher line to prevent contaminated water from the sinks flowing into dishwasher if (when) your have a blockage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks