Noble TS vs Kerdi board

Users who are viewing this thread

adi

Reaction score
I bought noble ts membrane to water proof my steam shower. I was having trouble installing as it seemed that the modified thinset wasn't really sticking to the back side of the noble ts. I ended up back buttering the ts and getting it on the wall and the shower floor. When I did a flood test one of the corners leaked. I've fixed that corner but do feel some air pockets. I only have a few air pockets mostly on the floor, but a few small ones on the wall. You have to really poke around to find them, so they are not very pronounced. How big of a problem is this? Once I put the other layers of ts overlapping on the walls, and the tile/mortar on tile on top of the floor will that resolve the issue?

So I was debating...should I rip everything out and go with the kerdi board system and preformed kerdi floor? I originally went with noble because i read that noble ts has a higher perm rate so it is better for a steam application. Is kerdi board ok for steam as well? I would hate to start from scratch but want to make sure everything i have done so far with the noble ts is common? thanks.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I used the Kerdi membrane (fabric) for my Steam Shower, but the Kerdi Board is also acceptable for residential applications. http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/showers/residential_steam_showers

A good place to ask questions about tiling and shower construction http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/login.php?do=login

The Kerdi DS is equivalent to Noble TS in perm ratings (about .15 and .18). But it is overkill for residential showers. The DS and TS are very thick and therefore harder to install. The standard Kerdi and Kerdi Board is around .9 perm.
If your doing a standard home steam shower there is no reason to spend the extra $ and hassle of installing the commercial grade stuff. But its up to you.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't used Noble, but I did a tub surround in Kerdi last year. It was a pain to get right and I had a lot of mud buildup in corners and seams despite trying my best to squeeze it out. I had a couple air bubbles that I fixed with their Kerdi-Fix, which is a very sticky sealant , but expensive. Overall, though, it turned out great.

For my master bath shower, we are just doing Kerdi-board. It should go up faster, I won't have any seams other than the corners and drywall transition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks