No Water new pump and switch!!

Users who are viewing this thread

josh slone

Reaction score
I have a 527’ well I had a well company come in and replace with a brand new 1.5hp pump. We had replaced the switch twice before this hoping that was the issue. Now we keep running out of water basically we run the dishwasher flush a toilet wash hand next thing you know nothing till next morning then we have to be caustious again. It has become even worse now. I’ve watched a million videos and I’m 75% sure on what could be wrong would like some opinions would prefer to not waste anymore money here’s the info. Basically brand new (3-4months) pressure switch. Brand new pump. Pressure tank has proper air pressure however no water in it when the pressure gauge is at 0 and we have no water. So do I assume the tank has a blockage and replace it or is it possible the switch and line to the tank have a blockage in it? Switch does have power to it. Any help would be much appreciated and helpful to lower the stress level of this household!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would start by using an ammeter to determine if the pump is running or not. If it's not running the the circuit resistance can be measured and compared to the pump specs. I can feel and hear a pump running in a 100 foot deep well, but not a 500 foot one.

Knowing if you have pressure gauges on the tank or in the piping before or after would be helpful.

Reach4

Reaction score
The symptoms sound like your well could be running out of water. How far down is your pump?

If you are running out of water, the current will be higher while you are pumping water up, but the current will drop as you run out of water.

If you are running out of water, may be able to get the pump lowered if you are not near the bottom already. You may need a device to detect when you are out of water. If your pump cannot be lowered, you could use your deep pump, under control of a float switch, to fill an atmospheric tank of a few hundred gallons . You would add a pressure pump to feed the house from the atmospheric tank.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sound like your either pumping the water down to the pump intake, or your pump is running out of head when the pumping level drops.

Did your pump contractor measure the static water level in the well? What gpm series 1.5 hp pump did the install and how deep was it installed? If the installed more that a 7 gpm Pump 500 ft deep, it won’t pump water to the surface when thevwell draws down too far. If they put in a 5 or 7 gpm Pump, they may need to lower it as far as possible.

josh slone

Reaction score
The pump is at 527’ they hit water at 80’. They told me it was pumping 6-7 gpm. Is their a way to tell if it’s running out of water?

josh slone

Reaction score
So I have not been able to purchase a meter yet as I’ve been unbelievably busy at work water has been working often on just an FYI this morning water is working perfectly fine and there is absolutely no water in the pressure tank. Not sure if that would help anybody or get any extra information or actually mean anything but my gauge says it has over 40 pounds of pressure and we’ve been able to shave wash hair brush teeth wash hands but there’s absolutely no water in the tank

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 40/60 switch and 38 PSI air in the tank, you are correct that there is no water in the tank at 40 PSI. But it sounds like your pump can build 40 PSI, just not any more. So do not leave the pump running when you are not using water as it is either deadheaded and will burn up quickly, or is circulating water down the well, which also is not a good thing. Deadhead would cause low amps, circulating because of a broken pipe would caise full load motor amps.

josh slone

Reaction score
All right so we have 40lbs of pressure at the gauge We do have a little water in the tank now. Bought a multimeter. Outside wires at 240 volts and inside at 240.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks