NG grill outdoor hookup questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hi All,

First let me start by saying a) I did not build this existing hookup and b) I am not hooking up the new one myself. I have some ideas but want to understand what I'm in for in terms of parts etc so I'm not told to replace stuff I don't have to

I have a NG outdoor hookup for a grill which my old plumber installed years ago. You can see the pics below. As we are re-doing the patio the hookup needs to be moved, so I figured on buying a nice dedicated hookup outlet box like from Burnaby or the like. All that said, had a few questions.

- I believe our inside service pressure is higher than the usual quarter PSI (I want to say 2 PSI) and everything is run with flexible black line. Is this also CSST? (not sure if this is correctly called CSST or not as all the CSST I've ever seen is yellow).

- The guy who built this rig had put the flex line straight through the wall to the iron pipe outside and the line and fitting is exposed to air. I never liked this too much and plan to fix it with iron through the wall on the new setup. Can this existing piece of flex be disconnected and re-used, or does the whole fitting have to be replaced? I imagine it is a flare fitting of some kind and I understand in some cases they should not be re-used at all. The 2nd pic shows the fitting on the other end (can't photo the one in question as it's inside the wall).

- No idea why he installed the regulator outside... if I even need one. can it just be installed to the wall inside?

- Is there any code dictating how close an outdoor GFI outlet or hose bib is to an outdoor gas box?

I do plan to have a shutoff installed both inside and outside (currently is outside only). The boxes I am looking at also have a high temp fusible link that will melt at high temp and kill the gas flow... none of which is happening now.

Any advice appreciated as always!
20180730_130301.jpg

20180730_130105.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks