Newly installed Delta tub/shower valve problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Zach Coleman, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

Roughed in a shower valve, as I finished soldering it together. Everything held no leaks. I get good water flow when I run tub only. When I pull the diverter on the tub spout I cant get water to the shower. What could be going on???!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    What brand of valve body? Just a few checks. Is the valve body installed up right? The bottom of these valve bodies are drilled and bored so the shower end must be straight up. Is the cartridge inserted correctly?

I once read on this forum with a similar problem. Solder from the shower joint had dripped into the valve body and plugged the hole for the shower.

After you get the problem resolved, cap off both tub and shower and open the valve. Let the water pressure sit on it for a few days to be sure of no leaks.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Does the water continue to flow out the tub spout, or does it shut off when you pull the diverter?

5. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

Turns out that solder had plugged the shower inlet. I heated the valve body and blew out the drop eared 90... Now works like a charm.

6. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    A VERY sloppy "plumber" must have done the work.

7. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

Yes, he was... I won't be using his services anymore :eek: