Newbie help - looking at softener's and need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

HardWaterSucks

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This forum is extremely helpful and I've been reading up on softener's for the past week and am moving closer to making a move on one.

From what I've read here, you can't go wrong with the Fleck 5600SXT.

I'm trying to figure out if that's the best system for me and what size/resin to go with.

About my situation:
3 bedroom home with 3 baths. 2 adults and one infant.
Water usage currently 4000 gallons per month
TDS meter reads our water at 215ish
Medium amount of chlorine in the water but we have an under sink carbon filter which gets most of that out

Based on this, I was looking at the Fleck 5600SXT with either 32,000 or 48,000 grains. 32,000 would probably be enough but since they are similar in cost, does it make more sense to get 48,000 to be safe? The biggest difference seems to be in how long between regenerations. Is there any downside to the larger grain/longer regen times?
I also see options for 8% or 10% crosslink resin. Is there any significant advantage to either option? Reading online it sounds like 10% is good for chloramine heavy water, which I have no idea if that is relevant to us or not.

Other things of note:
We have a 1" water line into the house but no attached flow regulator (and have rockstar water pressure). Had Culligan out for an evaluation and they said they'd have to install a flow regulator to stay up to code. Not sure if that's required for the softener or not.

Any advice? Is the Fleck 5600SXT a good option for me or is there something else I should be comparing to? I'll have a local plumber do the install for me and then I'll probably be back here for help with initial settings!

Thanks!

Edit: Too late to edit my title, sorry for the "softener's" instead of "softeners"!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I am not much of a fan of the 5600SXT, There are many knockoffs that are made by th lowest bidder and many companies put that good old valve on top of the lowest cost junk. It is also a little meager in the flow rate department compared to the 5800 series. The design is fairly dated and the number of moving parts etc really show when you look at the diagrams. The Clack or the more modern Fleck valves are much better in my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks