New Tankless, New Plumbing, Hot Side smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Czar787

Reaction score
Installed new tankless water heater with a complete re pipe job. Swapped out cpvc, and a 50 gallon tank for a Rheem 199,000btu tankless with pex viega manifold, with bluefin pex and bluefin poly fittings. The pex is ran in home run fashion off the manifold. Off the water heater we go to copper for about 5 feet on both cold and hot witch then transitions to pex. There is a recirculatio system installed for this we have 3/4 pex ran around the basement in almost a big You connecting to every hot line with a 3/4x1/2x3/4 T. So now that you have an understanding of the system the hot water side has a pex smell to it, atleast to me I believe it’s a pex smell, one person said maybe a burning smell, the cold side has no smell or odor... has anyone ever experienced this... I believe it has something to do with the tankless heater?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If most plumbers are like me, we're immune to most smelly things. Years of exposure.

I recall smelling flux in newly commissioned systems back in the day. I've found that all smells usually goes away once the water has a chance to clean away all the tiny particles and chemicals.

Czar787

Reaction score
If most plumbers are like me, we're immune to most smelly things. Years of exposure.

I recall smelling flux in newly commissioned systems back in the day. I've found that all smells usually goes away once the water has a chance to clean away all the tiny particles and chemicals.
Same, just on this one the customer was adamant so I came looking for others suggestions

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could it be a bit of flux from that short run of copper? Seems like that would disipate quickly, especially since we're all using water soluble flux.. if its soldered at all.. we use press fittings for copper.

For sake of elimination.. maybe try running water thru the hot side with the tankless off to see if that makes a difference?

Czar787

Reaction score
Could it be a bit of flux from that short run of copper? Seems like that would disipate quickly, especially since we're all using water soluble flux.. if its soldered at all.. we use press fittings for copper.

For sake of elimination.. maybe try running water thru the hot side with the tankless off to see if that makes a difference?
I was there today and if it’s the flux I be shocked we’re talking literally 5 feet, in my opinion it has gotten better, I also called pex manufacture to make sure of no recalls or bulletins on the pex I used. I even drank a cup of warm water in front of her so we will see.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks