New Submersible Pump new Drop Pipe Water has burnt rubber smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed Rucker

Reaction score
The title says it all. New Submersible Pump new Drop Pipe, water has a burnt rubber smell. What do I look at first?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would wonder if I applied 240 volt power to a 115 volt pump... I have no relevant experience, but that came to mind as a wild possibility.

Was the well out of service for a long while?

Maybe run a lot of water to the ditch to see if the smell leaves the water, but I would not know how that smell got there. What pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Been doing pumps 54 years and never heard that one before. I doubt it is coming from the pump or pipe. What is the condition of the pressure tank as that is the only thing with rubber in it.

Ed Rucker

Reaction score
The pressure tank is a 50-year-old galvanized model, no bladder. The well has been out of service for a month. It was really rusty at first after shock treatment but cleared up after an hour of pumping out. At first I thought it might be from the garden hose I used to recirculate the water and mix the chlorine. The pump is a 7s10-19 with the Grundfos 1 HP 3 wire motor and a Franklin 1 HP CSCR controller

Reach4

Reaction score
That rubber garden hose makes sense. They do sell garden hoses rated for potable water, if this comes up again.

Let's suppose the hose is the origin. After you stopped recirculating, the flow of water was probably from below the pump (if you have a bottom-feeding well). The water above the pump did not get rinsed out, and it could be slowly releasing its rubber smell.

So suppose you split the water from the hose spigot. Send about half to the ditch with your rubber hose, and the other half down the well to rinse out the older water above the pump.

Ed Rucker

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware of the potable water garden hoses. I thought it would all be purged and really didn't matter. I'll be sure to use one in the future. Your theory about a bottom-feeding well may be right on. Anyway, I pumped and purged all day yesterday and things once again seem to be cleared up.
Wednesday when I first brought the well back on I pumped out until the water was clear before reconnecting to the house. Interestingly, the water clouded back up and also had lots of rust particles as I was pumping yesterday. It also cleared out (again). Is there any chance I need to be concerned about iron bacteria? I will admit my shock treatment may not have been as thorough as it might have been. Maybe a water test is needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks