New Sink for Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Chowsman

Reaction score
Please see the attached picture. I would like to add a sink in the location shown. I'm thinking it could be tied into the 2" stack coming down from the upper bathroom sink. What is the maximum distance from the stack the sink can be without adding a vent? Thanks

Attachments

• sink_lower_bathroom.png
    sink_lower_bathroom.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 130

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink needs to be vented "before" it enters the 2" "waste" stack.
Normally you would extend the vent to the second floor and tie in at 42" above the second floor.
If you can't do that, then an AAV.
Auto Air Vent

dwv_b1.jpg

Chowsman

Reaction score
The sink needs to be vented "before" it enters the 2" "waste" stack.
Normally you would extend the vent to the second floor and tie in at 42" above the second floor.
If you can't do that, then an AAV.
Auto Air Vent

dwv_b1.jpg

Not questioning your expertise but why does the sink need to be vented if it's only 2ft from the stack?

Chowsman

Reaction score
First tell me what you do for a living.

Semi-retired renovator. The reason I ask is that I removed a sink on the other side of the room which you can't see that was connected to another stack and there was no venting as you describe. The house was built in 69 so w=maybe the code has changed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been a licensed plumber since the 70's
All plumbing fixtures need to be vented, and that venting takes place on the same floor. We don't use the upstairs plumbing as a vent, nor do we use the downstairs vents for waste lines.
You can do same floor wet venting for bathroom groups, "On The Same Floor"
They even limit tail pieces for vertical length, as that's a problem with siphoning too. For instance, a washer trap needs to be on the same floor as the washer, it can't be below the floor.
I can't explain why you found what you found. Finding it doesn't make it right.

Chowsman

Reaction score
I've been a licensed plumber since the 70's
All plumbing fixtures need to be vented, and that venting takes place on the same floor. We don't use the upstairs plumbing as a vent, nor do we use the downstairs vents for waste lines.
You can do same floor wet venting for bathroom groups, "On The Same Floor"
They even limit tail pieces for vertical length, as that's a problem with siphoning too. For instance, a washer trap needs to be on the same floor as the washer, it can't be below the floor.
I can't explain why you found what you found. Finding it doesn't make it right.

Hi Terry; so I took a pano of the room in question. So as you can see by the picture the Old Sink was on the other side of the room and ties into a 2" vent stack. There was also a sink on the other side of the wall. This stack (marked in Orange) goes up through the floor above extending beyond roof line. Can I place my new sink in the location indicated and run a vent line up as shown (in grey) and tie into the Orange Vent line? Thanks

Attachments

• lower_bathroom2.JPG
    lower_bathroom2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 138
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks