new sand point

Users who are viewing this thread

ton

Reaction score
Going to put in a new point below frost level this coming spring. Lets of info on how to do it on this site (great site) but little on what type of point to buy. I am told I need a 80 guage and min length of 30 inches for my area. I am researching manufacturers and they range from 60$ to 300$. What am I getting if I buy the more expensive one. (sand blocker etc) If someone could recommend a point that works well and won't break the bank this would be appreciated.

Thank you

too old for this

Reaction score
Read bob's post regarding installing a driven well. Make sure you have water at a reasonable depth. (how deep do you want to pound pipe?) Make sure the water is in SAND. A point will not draw water from clay. If you need the maximum volume of water from a single point...Sample the sand from the depth that the point will be located. You can do this by forcing (flushing) a pipe into the ground to the depth of the aquifer and the material that comes up around the pipe when you get to that depth will be the water bearing sand that the point will draw from. You can also dig a hole with a backhoe if you have one. Measure the grains of sand with a dial caliper. Then call Johnson screens inc. They can recommend a point based on the sand you sampled from the aquifer. Do all of this before you spend any money on a pump, tank, etc. The pump must match the point as far as potential delivery rate. If your sand is extremely fine, you will have to go with a very fine screen and hence a lower gpm of water. If your sand is coarse, you can go with a screen that has a larger open area and you will be able to get greater flow. It also depends on how much water you need. Also read my post above. My 2 inch 4 foot 80 gauze point (huge point) would only draw 4.75gpm because the screen is so fine. I ordered one from a Johnson distributor today that has a calculated flow rate of 17.5 gpm -it's matched for my soil condition- and it's only 36 inches long.
If you buy a pump that will deliver more than the well will produce, you will waste money on a larger pump, waste electricity running a pump that is too big, have cavitation problems due to insufficient intake volume to pump, and premature failure will result because cavitation can be disastrous to the impeller and volute.https://terrylove.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
Good Luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks