New pressure switch already not working

Users who are viewing this thread

TLasseter

Reaction score
Pump quit cutting on when the water pressure went down so I checked the pressure switch and sure enough the points were stuck and noticed black marks where they had burnt. I replaced it with a brand new one, and three weeks later the same thing happened. I filed down the points and it was good for about a week, then happened again. I went back to the store, they claimed the pressure switches just aren't made very well any more, so I bought another new one, installed it, and was only two days later we had no water in the house because the points had stuck again. Tried to find what might be causing this to happen so quickly to new switches, read where it might be a clogged tube to the switch so I took it off and cleaned out thoroughly since we do have hard water with a lot of minerals. Replaced the pressure gauge also, just in case. Everything worked well for one day, then next morning, no water! I can manually get the points unstuck, but hate to have to do this everyday. any ideas??

Reach4

Reaction score
Pump quit cutting on when the water pressure went down so I checked the pressure switch and sure enough the points were stuck and noticed black marks where they had burnt. I replaced it with a brand new one, and three weeks later the same thing happened. I filed down the points and it was good for about a week, then happened again.
That indicates the pressure switch is carrying too much current. A clogged nipple would not cause the blackened contacts.

Was your pump in service successfully for a long time before the problem?

How many HP is your pump?

You should get a clamp-around ammeter to measure the current.

Reach4

Reaction score
We have had the well for 31 years, this pump is probably 8-10 years old, it is one horse power.
A one HP 230 volt motor should not fry the typical pressure switch. Get that ammeter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those pressure switch contacts can take a lot of amperage. They don't burn when they are closed. They only spark when they pop open or first touch. So I am thinking your tank is waterlogged and the pump is cycling a lot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks