New new water heater advice

Users who are viewing this thread

CLH

Reaction score
Original natural gas water heater, 50 gal., 2001 install, failing. There is water in the pan, I feel a slight misting of water near the top and see water dripping from the overhead exhaust capture, I'm guessing here. My husband is in hospital and I'm not going to let him deal with this at this time. I have called a plumber. we have hard water here in Richmond Texas 77469. We do have a water softener with additional vortex tank with Filox.

Is there anything I should ask for or look for, especially regarding the hard water, high manganese and iron, water softener. Also what things can the plumber do at install to make this water heater easier for a homeowner to maintain and to increase longevity.

I really appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.

Christine

CLH

Reaction score
16 years IS "longevity". Just install the new heater and do not worry about it, maybe for another 16 years.
I am going to replace this old water heater. We bought the house with it in it. We knew we would be replacing it immediately and are. I know enough to replace. I wanted some advice about what's new and consideration for the location and needs. I have never bought one before and know enough to know I don't want to go to Home Depot. I would like to be a well informed consumer which is why I asked on this website. We want natural gas, 50 gal. Beyond that I have no idea what's available, other than going to a big box store for advice and selection, which is why I'm here.

Thanks for any advice.
Christine

Reach4

Reaction score
Beyond that I have no idea what's available, other than going to a big box store for advice and selection, which is why I'm here.
If you search the water heater forum for "phoenix light duty" you will find discussions of a water heater that you probably did not know about.

Those water heaters are also sold as Westinghouse brand, often at a lesser price. Still not cheap.

Last edited:

Themp

Reaction score
I have been a user of Rheem natural gas water heaters and have always bought them from Home Depot. I was installing them myself, however. Looks like you have a Home Depot in Rosenberg with this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T12HE40U0/204697785

My first Rheem went 18 years and and my second one is at 16 years...

You might need a short, the above link is for the tall version.

My son has used AO Smith water heaters with success also. If you search this site you will find that the Westinghouse brand has had problems. I think there are only four large water heater manufacturers in the US, so brand names can be confusing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks