New Kohler - problems out of the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
Just installed a Kohler San Raphael one-piece toilet for a customer. It has been installed a week. On site today another contractor saw a puddle of water at the toilet and called me over. Found water running down the side of the unit. Took the lid off and turns out when it's flushed the fill valve sprays a stream of water out of the top and onto the underside of the lid, running out on the floor. Supply house says call Kohler. Two tries, on hold for 1/2 hour each time until I hung up. Anyone else having problems with Kohler products? I had a job last year where three of their faucets were defective out of the box on the same job and they kept replacing parts or replacing faucets completely. Now an issue with one of their toilets. Many of my customers are steered toward Kohler by supply house salespeople because two of the larger showrooms here are mostly Kohler. the stuff looks good but their quality seems to be going down the shi&*er. I never recommend their products now.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, If I install a Toto why would I have problems with installing a Kohler????

Repairing them thats another story...
I hate oddball parts and waiting 3 weeks for Kohler to ship them...

Maybe thats why I install Toto...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
OK I wasn't sure what you meant...Kohlers sold at the Big Box stores seem to have more problems...I am not sure if they are 2nds like the AS Cadets...

Garydaplummer

Reaction score
Not from a big box store

Unfortunately this was ordered through a local plumbing supply house, I can only imagine what a big box model would offer. The supply house has a replacement fill valve for me to pick up and replace. Next we have to deal with the extra labor costs to replace a part on a toilet I did not sell. Are many of you installing customer-supplied fixtures? How do you handle it when there are problems?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are many of you installing customer-supplied fixtures? How do you handle it when there are problems?

If I install a customer supplied fixture I guarantee that it is installed correctly.
If there is a defect it is the customers problem and I will install a different one at their expense. Or, repair it at their expense.

Hopefully I see the defect before it is installed then I will just charge for my time and not install it. I look over some brands extra carefully.
Like the ones with a high rate of defects.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If a customer has you install their toilet and it has problems then they bear any and all labor costs associated with its instalation...which would also mean any additional costs due to bad parts... if you supplied the fixture you bear all the labor costs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Kohler

I am not sure what you are saying, but since most, if not all, Kohler toilets use a Fluidmaster fill valve, it appears that all you would have to do, according to your description, is to replace its cap.

Garydaplummer

Reaction score
Not fluidmaster

This toilet fill valve is a blue and white plastic thing that is not a fluidmaster. The salesman at the supply house thought it would be a fluidmaster as well. He is actually checking with Kohler to see if they are using a different fill valve now on this model, a lowboy one piece toilet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler...use a different part...nawwww....it would never happen...not in a million years.....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm blue and white plastic...
Sounds like they may have outsourced those from China...

Garydaplummer

Reaction score
Update - got the new part

Just picked up the replacement fill valve for this toilet today, given to me by the supply house the toilet was purchased from by the customer. It is a fluidmaster model DIN 4109. It's blue and white and looks nothing like the other fluidmaster fill valves I've seen before.

Garydaplummer

Reaction score
Doesn't say

No country of manufacture listed on the part or the bag it came in, however the braided stainless steel supply line that comes with it is made by fluidmaster in Mexico. By the way this model is a fluidmaster model 747 not the number I quoted before

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
747_product_image.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks