HELP! - Strange Rust on (2) NEW Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

RehabMD

Reaction score
Hello all

I fear a dispute with waterproofing contractor so need some advice

I have two new water heaters in a duplex (one in each respective basement)
-Model: Rheem 50gal Heaters (Purchased at Home Depot)
-Electric heaters
-Expansion Tanks
-Dehumidifiers running 24/7

Heaters were installed by a licensed plumber and working for seven (7) months. They haven't gotten much use, we are still doing rehab. Ten (10) days ago, Basement Waterproofers CUT the water supply lines to heaters to move them away from the wall and install sump pumps. When they cut the water supply lines, water splashed all over the units from above.

Today, (10 days later) I notice rust in BOTH Electrical Junction Boxes on the heater lids. The styrofoam underneath is rust colored now. (Photo Album) Is this because the water sat on the lid and seeped into the unit? Or is this a defect that's been rusting for months from within?

Waterproofer argues the rust is old and splashing from cut water lines never caused a problem before. I will cut out the foam protection under the junction basin to assess moisture/rust. I think they are liable if heaters are damaged.

What does everyone think? Your help is truly appreciated!

-Christian

Attachments

• 1. Heater next to Dehumidifier-min.JPG
    1. Heater next to Dehumidifier-min.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 2. Pic of cut line, expansion tank and junction box-min.JPG
    2. Pic of cut line, expansion tank and junction box-min.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 3. Top of Lid -min.JPG
    3. Top of Lid -min.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 4 Unit Diagram-min.jpg
    4 Unit Diagram-min.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath(1)-min.JPG
    Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath(1)-min.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath(2)-min.JPG
    Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath(2)-min.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 162
  • Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath-min.JPG
    Junction Box Basin + Styrofoam Underneath-min.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Junction Box-min.JPG
    Junction Box-min.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt it'll hurt. you got a sump and de humidifier could be damp down there I'd say keep it dry down there and keep an eye on it

RehabMD

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff!

If water seeped into the heater via junction box... should I be concerned?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without knowing exactly what those boxes looked like prior to them cutting the water lines, you have no claim against them. A guessing game won't do.

As stated whatever moisture needs to dry out of the air and by extension the water heater jacket. It'll be fine. This will happen naturally when the water heater heats and evaporates the water. Getting the waterproofing done is more important than these boxes. They are likley cheap and easily obtained from the manufacturer if you want to replace them.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
This kind of rusting moisture natrually happens in water heaters...its no big deal..
leave the contractor alone unless he is the guy who installed the heaters in the first place.

Note--- that the way that those thermal expansion tanks are mounted is very shitty indeed....
You need to maybe get some bailing wire or some #12 copper wire and support those tanks
that are literally hanging in the air..... the weight from those tanks will eventually cause you trouble
or a potential flood on those fittings that are under stress.... .....

just figure out a way to wrap those tanks with some wire and hang it to the overhead wooden rafters
to eliminate the weight drag on the fittings.....

RehabMD

Reaction score
Just figure out a way to wrap those tanks with some wire and hang it to the overhead wooden rafters
to eliminate the weight drag on the fittings.....

OOF! Thanks for catching that Mark. Never thought about problems a full expansion tank could cause.

Thanks!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks