New Dishwasher Discharge Hose Install

Users who are viewing this thread

SoCal_RJS

Reaction score
Greetings,

A quick little back story. When we remodeled the kitchen 13 years ago, we didn’t want an air gap (even though it was code), so the plumber looped the drain hose by the dishwasher and ran it through the floor (raised foundation) discharging into one of the drain pipes. The hole we had drilled in the quartz countertop at the sink was used for the garbage disposal air switch.

Fast forward to now. We need to replace the dishwasher and with resale in mind, we plan on putting in an air gap to bring it up to code and put the garbage disposer on a switch.

We will most likely go with Bosch this time around.

The kitchen is “L” shaped having the sink and dishwasher on adjacent walls. Which leads me to my questions running the new discharge hose.

Options to run the discharge hose are:

1) Under the floor and back up into the sink cabinet and do the high loop there. This would allow using a shorter hose by running it on the diagonal under the floor attached with clamps to the underside of the joists.

2) Do the high loop at the dishwasher and run in the tops of the cabinets following the “L” layout.

3) Run in the bottoms of the cabinets following the “L” layout and do the high loop in the sink cabinet

Are there any other options I am missing?

Thank you for your time with the assistance.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Option 1 would be best. You definitely want the high loop in the sink cabinet if you're draining there. It's closer to the source that way, and wouldn't leave a ton of water in the hose if the drain backed up. Less hose is also better.

Newer dishwashers seem to have a problem draining into stand pipes under the floor, too, so you certainly have to change your set-up. We've seen a number of them set up that way get siphoned out, and ruin the machine.

SoCal_RJS

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for my noob question, but in your reference to "source", you are referring to if the house drain line backed-up into the garbage disposer?

Is there a particular type of hose I should look at for the line? I estimate I'll need approximately 10' - 11' of hose.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks