New Cheviot 7565 gooseneck faucet runs - doesn't drip - for 8 seconds after shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

slewisoh

Reaction score
We are having problems with a newly installed Cheviot free standing tub filler, model 7565. This tub filler was installed professionally as part of a master bathroom renovation. We are not having issues with any of the newly installed shower, toilet, or lavatory fixtures.

After shutting off either the hot or cold water handles, the water continues to flow quite prolifically for about 8 seconds, then slows to a drip for another 10 seconds or so then stops. The same pattern is present when using the wand. Also, when using the hot water and engaging the diverter, the water doesn't cleanly divert to the wand. Water flows from both the faucet and the wand.

We contacted Cheviot and they sent replacement cartridges for the hot and cold handles and the diverter. There was no change. Cheviot then sent a new "body" which was essentially everything but the risers. That too was professionally installed with no change in outcome. We sent video footage to Cheviot and they responded that the problem could be a clogged aerator. Our contractor again removed the aerator and flushed everything out but the issues persist. When we followed up with more video footage, Cheviot then stated this is normal for gooseneck faucets.

I find that claim to be far-fetched (a small amount of water, given the design, okay but this?) And even if the excess water flow is normal for gooseneck faucets it doesn't resolve the issue of the faulty diverter.

I don't want to be unreasonable but I don't want to get taken for a ride either. Does anyone have an thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a common problem with gooseneck faucets, especially those with aerators, because there is a certain amount of water in the gooseneck that has to drain out when the flow stops. The only way for it to drain is if air enters the spout as the water comes out. A aerator restricts the flow of air so it takes longer for the water to drain out and it does it slower. Depending on how the diverter works, it could need some leakage to get rid of the backpressure so the diverter can open, it was very common with diverter spouts in the 60s and 70s..

slewisoh

Reaction score
It is a common problem with gooseneck faucets, especially those with aerators, because there is a certain amount of water in the gooseneck that has to drain out when the flow stops. The only way for it to drain is if air enters the spout as the water comes out. A aerator restricts the flow of air so it takes longer for the water to drain out and it does it slower. Depending on how the diverter works, it could need some leakage to get rid of the backpressure so the diverter can open, it was very common with diverter spouts in the 60s and 70s..

Thanks for responding, HJ.

I understand that my idea of what constitutes a reasonable amount of water flowing from a gooseneck can be different from someone else's idea of what is reasonable. However, it's hard for me to understand problems with the diverter. We're not dealing with old technology - this is a brand new tub filler. Why would we expect it to not work?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
I understand that my idea of what constitutes a reasonable amount of water flowing from a gooseneck can be different from someone else's idea of what is reasonable

IF the flow eventually stops, then the water WAS the residual in the gooseneck, otherwise it would continue FOR EVER. As for the diverter, I have no idea HOW the company designed theirs but if two of the worked the same way, it is reasonable to assume that is how it is supposed to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks