SCALA 2 variable water pressure at faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Kris12

Reaction score
We had a SCALA 2 installed several months ago and have been caving issues ever since.

Pump turns on with demand and has good pressure. However, with a large draw (toilet flush, dish and clothes washer and tub) the pressure starts off good and then after about 45 seconds the pressure fluctuates from low to high. This cycle repeats about every 45-6o seconds as long as the demand remains. Periodically the #5 error code lights up. You can see and hear the water fluctuations at the end source (toilet and faucets). The fluctuations also cause fluctuations at our on demand water heater - the temp of the water doesn’t change but you can hear the heater motor surge when the SCALA surges. I have video clips of the pump and water heater along with a pressure gauge readings while it is happening.

Here is what we have done so far.
-first SCALA 2 installed
-we noticed and then reported the issue to our plumber, Grundfos instructed him to replace the pump to fix the issue.
-new SCALA 2 pump installed - same issue
-water pressure checked at the street - 35psi
-water pressure checked at the house (after the meter) -35psi
-per Grundfos reps - back flow valves removed from the unit and there was one additional valve before the unit that was also removed.

Nothing has fixed the issue. Now the Gurunfos rep is saying that we should get rid of the SCALA 2 and go back to the pump we had previously- MQ-3.

Pump history and other notes-
8 yrs ago we had a well pump which failed after 4ish - we were told there was a hole in the bladder.
-Grundfos MQ was installed. This pump failed after 4ish years.
- We have an irrigation system that we run at most 6-8 weeks in the summer.
- I was told that the town mandated the builder place pressure pumps in all the houses on our street in order to get approval to build the development. We were the first owners of the house.
- we like the SCALA 2 - pressure is good and immediate. The unit is Quiet!! However we are concerned that the motor fluctuations in the pump and our water heater will cause the units to fail prematurely.
- we plan to finish the basement and don’t want to go back to the MQ as it was loud - and this judgement is based off noise heard on the main and second level. The pump will be in a closet in the same room that we are finishing.
- I am now concerned that the failure of the previous pumps (well and MQ) were caused by the same thing that is causing the issue with the SCALA2.

Sorry for the long email. I am at my wits end with two this and am trying to fix this issue. My goal is to end up with good water pressure and a quiet unit that does not fail after 4 years!!

kaktus

Reaction score
Hello!
What is happened with your SCALE 2? I want to buy it so I am interested in your experience?
Thanks

We had a SCALA 2 installed several months ago and have been caving issues ever since.

Pump turns on with demand and has good pressure. However, with a large draw (toilet flush, dish and clothes washer and tub) the pressure starts off good and then after about 45 seconds the pressure fluctuates from low to high. This cycle repeats about every 45-6o seconds as long as the demand remains. Periodically the #5 error code lights up. You can see and hear the water fluctuations at the end source (toilet and faucets). The fluctuations also cause fluctuations at our on demand water heater - the temp of the water doesn’t change but you can hear the heater motor surge when the SCALA surges. I have video clips of the pump and water heater along with a pressure gauge readings while it is happening.

-first SCALA 2 installed
-we noticed and then reported the issue to our plumber, Grundfos instructed him to replace the pump to fix the issue.
-per Grundfos reps - back flow valves removed from the unit and there was one additional valve before the unit that was also removed.

Nothing has fixed the issue. Now the Gurunfos rep is saying that we should get rid of the SCALA 2 and go back to the pump we had previously- MQ-3.

8 yrs ago we had a well pump which failed after 4ish - we were told there was a hole in the bladder.
- I was told that the town mandated the builder place pressure pumps in all the houses on our street in order to get approval to build the development. We were the first owners of the house.
- we like the SCALA 2 - pressure is good and immediate. The unit is Quiet!! However we are concerned that the motor fluctuations in the pump and our water heater will cause the units to fail prematurely.
- we plan to finish the basement and don’t want to go back to the MQ as it was loud - and this judgement is based off noise heard on the main and second level. The pump will be in a closet in the same room that we are finishing.
- I am now concerned that the failure of the previous pumps (well and MQ) were caused by the same thing that is causing the issue with the SCALA2.

Sorry for the long email. I am at my wits end with two this and am trying to fix this issue. My goal is to end up with good water pressure and a quiet unit that does not fail after 4 years!!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Need gauge on either side of the pump when the inlet drops outlet will drop. Inlet gauge snould tell whats happening. Toilet flow isn't a big draw 2 gallon or less. Need to know what your well pump flows at what pressure and gpm.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds a like there isn't enough volume coming in to keep up with demand. That is why most well systems have a large cistern of stored water to draw from and pressurize.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

-first SCALA 2 installed

Can't believe I missed this in 2019. I'll bet they have replaced the Scala and/or MQ several more times since then. That is what Variable Speed and flow switch controlled booster pumps are made to do, be replaced often. A good jet pump like a J10 S and a PK1A constant pressure control kit would make the pump last 30 years. This is exactly why pump manufacturers push those futuristic sounding and priced all in one units instead, which are just the opposite of lasting a long time and saving you money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks