New Build - Well Water Treatment - Looking For Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

SNKETR

Reaction score
So we just moved in to our new build. We're on a well. We have a 3hp pump at almost 600' deep. Softener loop is in the garage and is 1.25" ID Copper. There are 2 adults and 3 kids living full time in the house. 4.5 baths w/ aerobic septic.

When I run the well pump disconnected from the pressure tanks I'm getting 16gpm consistently.

Right now the biggest annoyance is the rotten egg smell. We get it in both hot and cold water. I had a water test done and these are the results:

Alkalinity, Total 283 mg/l
pH 7.7 pH
Bromide 0.50 mg/l
Chlorides 57.2 mg/l
Flouride 0.96mg/l
Nitrate – IC none detected
Phosphate none detected
Solids, Total Dissolved 381 mg/l
Sulfate (SO4) 61.5 mg/l
Aluminum 529 ug/l
Arsenic – ICP none detected
Barium 71.7 ug/l
Beryllium 0.3 ug/l
Boron 689 ug/l
Cadmium none detected
Calcium 41.4 mg/l
Chromium none detected
Cobalt none detected
Copper – ICP 20 ug/l
Iron 0.4 mg/l
Lead – ICP none detected
Lithium none detected
Magnesium 21.2 mg/l
Manganese 19.5 ug/l
Molybdenum none detected
Nickel none detected
Phosphorus, Total 597 ug/l
Potassium 14.5 mg/l
Selenium – ICP 23.0 ug/l
Silicon 8120 ug/l
Silver none detected
Sodium 70 mg/l
Strontium 7740 ug/l
Vanadium none detected
Zinc 8.5 ug/l

What was recommended to me is a hydrogen peroxide iron/sulfur system with a 20gpm single tank softener setup 48000 grain (optimal, 64,000 maximum) setting and a 5 micron prefilter. Does that setup sound about right? Is there anything anyone would recommend I change?

Reach4

Reaction score
Right now the biggest annoyance is the rotten egg smell. We get it in both hot and cold water.
I would sanitize my well. That will help regardless for a while. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing writeup.

hat was recommended to me is a hydrogen peroxide iron/sulfur system with a 20gpm single tank softener setup 48000 grain (optimal, 64,000 maximum) setting and a 5 micron prefilter.
That is a very broad description, and what is there sounds good. But within that description there are a lot of choices.

For example, inject H2O2 before a contact tank proportionally with water use, follow that with a backwashing GAC tank, and then the softener would be a great thing.

Injecting some inject H2O2 before a KL tank proportionally with water use, but set the injection rate to minimize the residual, and then the softener could work. It would need some tuning.

There are a lot more configurations that would fit your description.

A 5 micron filter after the softener might be better.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many of the online h2o2 injection guys are really pushing this system design with the intent to increase return sales massively. Run the numbers, you will notice that you could be into it for hundreds of dollars a year in h2o2.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks